Re: No connection for some sites
IamHusker
Enthusiast - Level 1

The only way I could do it was using the MyFios App from my iPhone.  

From inside the app:

Tap 'Internet' > 'Devices and Parental Controls' > 'HomeNetworkProtection'

Toggle to the off position.

Re: Cannot connect to Google or other Google products but can ping to the sites
caturner1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use the Home Network Protection to regulate my children's activities....so disabling it as a work around is unacceptable. As mush money as these people are charging, the they should be held accountable to having their engineers resolve the problem and not offer a band-aid. 

Fix it!

Currently using a VPN via my Norton Life lock to access G-Mail, Google suite of sites...

sdotsamuel

Solved would indicate this has been fixed and it has not.

The workaround does work, but now I have to physically monitor my child's internet activities.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Here is my two cents.

@sdotsamuel wrote:

but now I have to physically monitor my child's internet activities.

From DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Networking -> Router that logs all traffic? The post by pawpaw (user #1002229) on 2020-Jul-13 at 10:23 am.

Direct link to their post https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32811730- in that thread.

Be a good parent, talk to your kids, have high expectations, be an example, and then trust them. Don't be Big Brother.

and not only I am in agreement with that, so is Anav (#431519)

This~~
Is the right answer, be engaged with your kids and get them involved in activities. Monitoring kids is not parenting, educating them is....

#2 And here is another two cents from me.

Depending on their resource(s) they can bypass that router completely.

Examples include but limited to:

With my smart cell phone I do not have to use the Wi-Fi access that I am provided by my parents or even work for that matter.

Maybe using a VPN if I was behind such a router with those controls, I could bypass those controls.

While not true during this issue of Covid-19, if I get someone else's Internet Access (think like Friend or Public Library) I could bypass those controls.

[EDIT #1] As suspected. From this very thread, post # 40

My only workaround was to use a client side VPN. No issues using this VPN other than I needed to install it on all the clients in the house since the G1100 does not allow a VPN to be installed on the router.

[EDIT #2] REF https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/essentials/home-network-protection

to where they ask and provide the answer to the question of What does Home Network Protection protect against? 

Augie2020
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this exact problem - if I turned off home network protection I could access google.com, but if home network protection was on I could not.  So I went into home network protection and, for every category of parental control I had created (even a parental control with no blocking for me) I listed google.com as an allowable exception.  After that it has been working fine (for now).

NJFIOSHELPME

Exact same issue, what if anything were you able to do to fix?

0 Likes
DAVVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue as of October 2020.

I don't understand how people here can say the workaround is a solution.  It is not.  I use parental controls to control internet access hours for a child with no control.  

Like others, I returned by G1100 router to Verizon when I "upgraded" my speed and added TV.  I bought another G1100 router and shortly thereafter started having the problems.   Applying the "workaround" will cost my real money for alternative solutions for something that I am already paying Verizon for.  

Additionally, one of the first things I did was set an exception for "google.com" in parental controls.  The exception does nothing for me.  Still have the problems.

Get on this Verizon.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally, if you want Parental Control or Access Control rules, you should go to the router and directly set them up there.

Using an APP to do that creates a middle medium between the operator (you) and the router. For the sake of stability and simplicity, any "couriers" are not advisable.

kddc
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can't use the router web admin as it blocks parental control and forces you to download and use the app. 

This is ridiculous. Verizon/mcafee need to fix this asap so we have working parental controls again. It's not just the dns issues btw. It is also the internet on/off schedules intermittently work. 

Complete mess and should be removed as a "feature" for parents from all marketing materials.

0 Likes
mjrdk

Hello, I am having the same issue here but we have no parental controls or home protection set up, only the basic firewall. We have released the IP for a new one and reset the router. It is always hit or miss as to whether or not Google sites load, and this has been a chronic issue. However, other websites load fine, and typically I have to turn WiFi off and use data to establish a connection to YouTube for example.

The router is the Actiontec MI424WR. We have had Fios for almost 15 years with no issues, but it certainly appears to be a dns resolution issue that is not fixed when I set the dns servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

0 Likes