Cat5 line
Takashi61
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am about to order Fios Internet and I would like to keep my own wireless router instead of the supplied router from Verizon.

My question is will the installer run Cat5 line instead of Coax cable from the Ont to the room of my choosing or will I have to 

run the Cat5 line myself?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Cat5 line
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

If you are only using FiOS for Internet and a digital phone line, there probably won't be any problem with just having the CAT 5 cable installed.  On the notification pages that come into your email prior to installation there is a place to leave a message and/or comments for the installer.  I left a message that I preferred a CAT 5 run from the ONT to the router since I did not have FiOS TV service.

The installer had read the note and came prepared to install using CAT 5 and all went very smoothly.  I ran just using the Verizon supplied router for a couple of days before I switched over to my WNDR 3700. Once I figured out the correct settings for the WNDR 3700 all has been running smoothly.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can do both: Either have Verizon install CAT5e over a Coax install or you can run the cable yourself. If the tech is not comfortable with connecting the ONT and router up using CAT5e, let him connect everything via Coax, and once he leaves, feel free to run your own strand of cable to the ONT, give Verizon's FSC a call and ask them to switch the ONT to CAT5e.

0 Likes
Takashi61
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'll probably order Fios online over the weekend and hope the installer can be convinced  to run Cat5 line instead of Coax line.

Thanks again.