Change installed router to another room
buckmater

I have FIOS for phone, internet and TV.  When I had this installed, the router was put into my home office.  Well since the installation we have decided to make the home office into a nursery. The computer connected to the router is a desktop.  I want to move the router and the desktop into another room.  The cable that plugs into the router seems to go directly to the outside box.  What do I need to do to move everything into another room, preferably in a hallway area where a TV is already?  Can I use the cable that is plugged into the back of the FIOS box and just plug that into the router?  Thanks for any help in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Change installed router to another room
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

Depends if you're provisioned on Ethernet or Coax .. if it's ethernet, you'd have to extend that ethernet cable to go where ever the router is going.

If you're on coax, then yes, you could use the current coax going into a VzFios STB.

0 Likes
buckmater
There is a blue ethernet cable plugged into the back of my router that goes to my computer.  I tried to plug the modem into another cable in the house and it lit up the LAN light and not the WAN light like it does now.  It also didn't light up the internet light either.  So that is why I am not sure if I can do this myself or if I need to call a technician to come out.
0 Likes
FiOSTechAL
Enthusiast - Level 3

In response to your inquiry - Please provide me with contact information via personal msg - so we can discuss. We may be able to work it out over the phone, otherwise a dispatch will be required and in this case it will be billable.

0 Likes