Change your WEP/SSID now!
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

This is a security problem if you have the Actiontec router.  It may apply only to older units, I don't know.

Apparently the default WEP key used by Actiontec can be determined quite easily from the MAC address and the SSID of the router.  Both are transmitted in the clear by default.

I stumbled upon this while checking for signal degradation at my house.  I downloaded a free Android app to my phone that monitors WiFi signal strength.  I noticed about a half-dozen SSIDs that had the same first 3 bytes for the MAC.  This is the manufacturer's code, so I googled it and saw that it was reserved for Actiontec. A little more searching and I read about simple relationship between the MAC/SSID and the WEP key. 

There are only 2 or three manufacter codes that Actiontec uses so it makes it easy to guess.

Change your WEP code now.

0 Likes
Re: Change your WEP to WPA now!
Hokiedad2
Contributor - Level 1

No one should use WEP, whether using an Actiontec or any other router. If you know anything about wireless security, you'll enable WPA.

What will NOT improve security:

1. Changing the WEP password.

2. MAC filtering.

3. Disabling SSID brodcast.

What WILL improve security:

1. Enabling WPA, with a strong password,

2. Changing the password periodically,

3. Installing a firewall on your PC.

Re: Change your WEP to WPA now!
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

My recommendation is to use WPA2

The preshared key should be around 20 characters with a mix of letters and numbers.

Something you can remember but not someting a passerby could figure out.

My neighbor put there house and street number i.e 123maple and couldnt figure out how all her kids friends were able to use their wireless when her own kids werent given the password.

0 Likes