Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Changing DHCP Range Results in Error

SOLVED
sid220
Contributor
Contributor

Changing DHCP Range Results in Error

Message 1 of 3
(998 Views)

I am trying to change my Fios-G1100 router's DHCP server to give out class a ipv4 addresses as opposed to the regular 192.168.1.x ones, so I changed the settings under My Network->Network Connections->Network (Home/Office)->Settings to look like this:

sid220_0-1651687125251.png

sid220_1-1651685740633.png

The problem is when I click apply, I get the following message:

"The number of IPv4 Addresses in the DHCP IPv4 address range must not be more than 256."

Is there some other setting I must change to have a wider class a ipv4 address range?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Changing DHCP Range Results in Error

Message 3 of 3
(956 Views)

@gs0b wrote:

It looks like the router has told you it's limitation: max of 256 addresses, or a class C space.  I'm not aware of anyway to change it.  Others here may comment.

I point to and quote part of https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

user's guide/manaul for that unit in question.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS10.1n/ HOW MANY COMPUTERS CAN BE CONNECTED THROUGH MY GATEWAY? Your Gateway is capable of 254 connections, but we recommend having no more than 45 connections. As the number of connections increase, the available speed for each computer decreases.

Yep.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gs0b
Platinum Contributor I Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I

Message 2 of 3
(953 Views)

It looks like the router has told you it's limitation: max of 256 addresses, or a class C space.  I'm not aware of anyway to change it.  Others here may comment.

I am curious, though, why do you need more than a class C space?  Do you have more than 254 devices on your LAN?  Depending on your use case, you may need to setup your own DHCP server and maybe even a 2nd router.

Note that if you have Verizon set-top-boxes, they may not get along with a non-default DHCP configuration.  If you don't have them, you can replace the G1100 with any router you like.  That could be a solution for your use case.

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 3
(957 Views)

@gs0b wrote:

I point to and quote part of https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

user's guide/manaul for that unit in question.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS10.1n/ HOW MANY COMPUTERS CAN BE CONNECTED THROUGH MY GATEWAY? Your Gateway is capable of 254 connections, but we recommend having no more than 45 connections. As the number of connections increase, the available speed for each computer decreases.

Yep.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title