Changing DHCP Range Results in Error
sid220
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to change my Fios-G1100 router's DHCP server to give out class a ipv4 addresses as opposed to the regular 192.168.1.x ones, so I changed the settings under My Network->Network Connections->Network (Home/Office)->Settings to look like this:

The problem is when I click apply, I get the following message:

"The number of IPv4 Addresses in the DHCP IPv4 address range must not be more than 256."

Is there some other setting I must change to have a wider class a ipv4 address range?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Changing DHCP Range Results in Error
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

It looks like the router has told you it's limitation: max of 256 addresses, or a class C space.  I'm not aware of anyway to change it.  Others here may comment.

I point to and quote part of https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

user's guide/manaul for that unit in question.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS10.1n/ HOW MANY COMPUTERS CAN BE CONNECTED THROUGH MY GATEWAY? Your Gateway is capable of 254 connections, but we recommend having no more than 45 connections. As the number of connections increase, the available speed for each computer decreases.

Yep.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like the router has told you it's limitation: max of 256 addresses, or a class C space.  I'm not aware of anyway to change it.  Others here may comment.

I am curious, though, why do you need more than a class C space?  Do you have more than 254 devices on your LAN?  Depending on your use case, you may need to setup your own DHCP server and maybe even a 2nd router.

Note that if you have Verizon set-top-boxes, they may not get along with a non-default DHCP configuration.  If you don't have them, you can replace the G1100 with any router you like.  That could be a solution for your use case.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

I point to and quote part of https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

user's guide/manaul for that unit in question.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS10.1n/ HOW MANY COMPUTERS CAN BE CONNECTED THROUGH MY GATEWAY? Your Gateway is capable of 254 connections, but we recommend having no more than 45 connections. As the number of connections increase, the available speed for each computer decreases.

Yep.