Changing ONT from Ethernet for Internet to COAX
lnportcpa

Hi, I have a FIOS triple play bundle with one of the Actiontec routers.  Apparently the ONT in my house is configured only ethernet.  So, the wifi/internet connects via ethernet.  Unfortunately, I only seem to have one ethernet outlet in the house.  I'd like to move the router to a different room, but since I don't seem to have any other ethernet outlets, I'm **bleep**.  

Is there anyway to reconfigure the ONT?  Or is my only option to get other ethernet outlets installed?  Or do I have any other options?

Seems it would be easier to move the router from one room to the other.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Changing ONT from Ethernet for Internet to COAX
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router to ONT connection can be Ethernet or coax.  However, for speed tiers over 100Mbps, it must be Ethernet.

You can call or chat Verizon and they can change the WAN ONT connection from Ethernet to coax while you wait, as long as you don't have a faster speed tier.

Once the WAN connection is configured for coax, simply plug the Verizon router into any active coax jack in your home.  If needed, you can use a splitter to feed a set-top-box and the router from the same jack.  Just be sure to use a splitter rated for 1GHz.

If you have a faster speed tier, then you'll need to install an Ethernet jack where  you want the router. Depending on how your home is constructed and where you want the jack, it may not be that hard to install.  You can buy the parts and tools at hardware stores, big box home building stores or online.  If you don't want to install it yourself, I suggest you contact a local handyman, home theater installer or electrician.  Verizon can do this work, too, but it's not their forte.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router to ONT connection can be Ethernet or coax.  However, for speed tiers over 100Mbps, it must be Ethernet.

You can call or chat Verizon and they can change the WAN ONT connection from Ethernet to coax while you wait, as long as you don't have a faster speed tier.

Once the WAN connection is configured for coax, simply plug the Verizon router into any active coax jack in your home.  If needed, you can use a splitter to feed a set-top-box and the router from the same jack.  Just be sure to use a splitter rated for 1GHz.

If you have a faster speed tier, then you'll need to install an Ethernet jack where  you want the router. Depending on how your home is constructed and where you want the jack, it may not be that hard to install.  You can buy the parts and tools at hardware stores, big box home building stores or online.  If you don't want to install it yourself, I suggest you contact a local handyman, home theater installer or electrician.  Verizon can do this work, too, but it's not their forte.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

In addition to what gs0b mentioned, if your ONT is very old, it's possible it's possible is does not support MOCA WAN (internet over coax).  The very early model 610 and 611 ONTs do not support MOCA WAN.

0 Likes
lnportcpa

Thanks for the quick reply.  I actually had done an online chat and they said that my ONT was only configured for COAX (might have something to do with being an older ONT?).  Anyway, he went to do that switch and said it wouldn't work.  

I have 75/75, so theoretically should be fine, but VZ is saying they can't switch the ONT.

Any other thoughts?  Wonder if I'd get a different answer from a different tech support person?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

That makes no sense.  All ONTs support ethernet, but there are no ONTs that support only coax.

Yes, you would probably get a different answer from a different CSR. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lnportcpa wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I actually had done an online chat and they said that my ONT was only configured for COAX (might have something to do with being an older ONT?).  Anyway, he went to do that switch and said it wouldn't work.  

I have 75/75, so theoretically should be fine, but VZ is saying they can't switch the ONT.

Any other thoughts?  Wonder if I'd get a different answer from a different tech support person?

Okay, now things are getting confusing.  If Verizon says you have coax WAN, then I believe them.

Look at the back of the router and tell us the names of the jacks that have Ethernet cables plugged into them.  Even better, post a picture.

Thanks.

0 Likes
lnportcpa

Only the WAN port has an ethernet cord attached.  Only other input is the coax.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The answer is it depends on the ONT model that is being used. Some models use only VSDL while others use ethernet only. Most of the newer models are capable of Moca over the coax or an ethernet connection. If you can find the model number I can tell you if you can switch over. to Moca.

0 Likes
lnportcpa

Telcoguru,

Here is a pic of the ONT.  The model number wasn't apparent anywhere.  My guess is it's an older one.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@lnportcpa wrote:

Telcoguru,

Here is a pic of the ONT.  The model number wasn't apparent anywhere.  My guess is it's an older one.

The picture did not appear.

0 Likes