Coax and Ethernet be enabled on the ONT at the same time?
shadeobrady
Enthusiast - Level 2

An ONT box has already been installed in a house I'm about to move into that was just renovated and split into 4 units. I would like to use my ASUS router, so I scheduled my install for next week to have them come in and run ethernet wires up to my unit and was planning on having them enable the RJ45 (ethernet) port for me.

Since there will be other people moving in, I wanted to double-check that both the coax and ethernet ports can be enabled at the same time. I assume at least one person in the unit will want to use tv and need coax.

If not, I'm assuming I'll have to go with the coax route which would really be a bummer... I suppose I would have to rent their router and use it in line before my ASUS or purchase a MoCA to Ethernet converter (heard these weren't great?).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coax and Ethernet be enabled on the ONT at the same time?
shadeobrady
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anyone else who needs this info:

I called Verizon to make a small change in my order, so also quickly spoke with a technician to make sure all the above is correct.

The technician confirmed that they CAN turn on both the coax as well as the CJ45 ethernet jacks at the same time. I'll have them running ethernet cable into my unit, while the other 3 apartments in my building will be able to have coax if they so please. They also mentioned they're only seeing 1 ONT unit having been installed at my place (not sure if there are different kinds, and the kind we have allows both to be turned on while a single house/account version would not?).

We'll see if this is 100% accurate when they arrive, but the technician double-checked with someone higher and was confident that I could have ethernet enabled while the other units could still have coax tv and/or data.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anthony91
Enthusiast - Level 3

normally if the house is split into 4 units unless its consider 4 different actually like apartments everybody will be sharing the same ONT

but yeah you can have both but the issue that will present is if you do not use a verizon router then Video on Demand , the channel Guide on the box and the activation of the boxes will not work because only a verizon router can have access to this networks, there is a post somewhere that shows you how to resolve this by bridging the verizon router and yours together to allow everything to work perfect. 

if it comes down to everybody sharing the same ONT the only issue i can see that might happen is if somebody wants to use internet with a wired connection then a ethernet cable will have to be routed to that room, or somebody will be sharing the wifi connection.there might be a tug a war with the internet if the speed package that is provided is not big enough if the other people are heavy data users like streamers people with alot of devices or heavy downloaders and gamers

shadeobrady
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply! To clarify:

The house is split into 4 separate apartments (consider it an apartment complex) and has one ONT installed.

I will only be using internet, so was going to have the technicial run cat5 when he comes next week.

I was specifically concerned that you couldn't have coax AND the ethernet turned on at the same time (incase other apartments in the house wanted TV which I'm sure someone will, in which case they would need coax while I'm using ethernet).

It sounds like you can have both running at the same time then?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can have Ethernet for internet and coax for TV. But if you have the internet, no one else can get it. Can't imagine no line in the other units will want it.

shadeobrady
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you mean that, if they turn on the RJ45 port and run ethernet to my apartment, no one else can run ethernet as well?

Or do you literally mean that none of the other apartments can have internet if my unit has the RJ45 port run to it? As in the other units can only have TV using MoCA (coax) while my apartment would be the only unit with internet using the ethernet port they turned on?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ont only supports one method of internet. And either method only supports one router for Internet access. So if you get Ethernet for internet, no one else can get it unless you fed them of your router.

And TV is provided via qam. Moca is used for data. And they would need access to internet for guide to work.

shadeobrady
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yikes - so does that mean that our building needs one ONT box for every single apartment in it (4 total)?

Or if I choose to do coax for just internet, will everyone else in the building (3 other units) be able to have coax for internet and/or tv as well on the same ONT box?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is another setup they use for aparmtnet buildings.

I don't rememebr specifics.

But for 4 units, it might be that each one would have its own ONT.

If you shared it, it would be all one account.

shadeobrady
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! That's what I was looking for. We definitely aren't sharing - they will all be on separate accounts.

I suppose I'll call them to find out if I'll have my own box or if they're doing another method as you mentioned. I would like them to simply route cat5 and for my to plug in my own router, but I would be more bummed out if they have to run coax and don't have a router for me since I didn't ask for one!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I looked a little more.

The mdu (multi dwelling unit) is used when Verizon can't install individual onts. Usually in larger buildings that don't have a way to run fiber to the units. So probably would get onts in your case