Coax/MOCA Adapters
KBacon3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I recently had a new cable box installed and my tech moved my router out of my office (away from my desktop) so it sits right next to my cable box.  I have coaxial running into my house and when it gets to my TV there is a two way split: 1-goes to a coax outlet in my office 2-heads to behind my tv where it is split 3 times (router, cable box 1, cable box 2). 

I want a wired internet connection in my office and I don't want to rip up my walls.  The best solution seems to be a MOCA adapter.  If I plug a single Actionec MOCA into the coax socket in my office will it get an internet signal from the line coming into my house?

The other option that I really don't want to do is as follows:

Run an ethernet from my router to MOCA 1, run coax back to my first splitter use F connectors to separate the lines (eliminate my 2x split), run coax from my office wall to MOCA 2 and run ethernet to my desktop.  This way would cost me almost twice as much, adds a lot of extra connectors/wires to my setup and is harder overall. 

Can I get internet in my office with one MOCA?

PS: I have no problem with my tech moving my router I just wish I'd thought about how I was going to get internet to my office.

Not sure if I have FIOS or DSL.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coax/MOCA Adapters
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KBacon wrote:

I recently had a new cable box installed and my tech moved my router out of my office (away from my desktop) so it sits right next to my cable box. 

<snip>

<snip>

Well, that's sort of important to know.  Given your description, you most likely have FiOS.

MoCA is a system that creates a network over coax.  FiOS installations run two separate MoCA networks on the same coax.  A WAN network that connects the router to the ONT (the big box that the fiber and coax connect to), and a LAN network that connects the router to the set-top-boxes for guide data, video on demand, and other functions.  The router manages both networks. 

Yes, you can purchase a MoCA to Ethernet adaptor and put it on any active coax port in your home and it will connect to the router using the MoCA LAN network.  You can also move your router to any active coax port and it will continue to operate the MoCA WAN and MoCA LAN.

If you don't need wired Ethernet at your TV, your best approach is most likely to move the router back to your office.  The only issue you might run into is a change in WiFi coverage depending on the size of your home and the location of your office.

Have Fun!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KBacon wrote:

I recently had a new cable box installed and my tech moved my router out of my office (away from my desktop) so it sits right next to my cable box. 

<snip>

<snip>

Well, that's sort of important to know.  Given your description, you most likely have FiOS.

MoCA is a system that creates a network over coax.  FiOS installations run two separate MoCA networks on the same coax.  A WAN network that connects the router to the ONT (the big box that the fiber and coax connect to), and a LAN network that connects the router to the set-top-boxes for guide data, video on demand, and other functions.  The router manages both networks. 

Yes, you can purchase a MoCA to Ethernet adaptor and put it on any active coax port in your home and it will connect to the router using the MoCA LAN network.  You can also move your router to any active coax port and it will continue to operate the MoCA WAN and MoCA LAN.

If you don't need wired Ethernet at your TV, your best approach is most likely to move the router back to your office.  The only issue you might run into is a change in WiFi coverage depending on the size of your home and the location of your office.

Have Fun!

KBacon3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for replying.  I will go and buy a single MOCA, save $40 and improve my cord management!

This may not be important but I plugged a TV into my office coax and ran a channel search.  In my head I was checking to see if there was a signal coming through.  My TV did not find any channels.  Does this mean that there is no signal (internet or cable) coming through this coax?

I gotta keep my router down with my TV to hardwire netflix "super hd" properly my blu ray also doesn't have WIFI.  Thanks again for replying.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KBacon wrote:

Thank you for replying.  I will go and buy a single MOCA, save $40 and improve my cord management!

This may not be important but I plugged a TV into my office coax and ran a channel search.  In my head I was checking to see if there was a signal coming through.  My TV did not find any channels.  Does this mean that there is no signal (internet or cable) coming through this coax?

I gotta keep my router down with my TV to hardwire netflix "super hd" properly my blu ray also doesn't have WIFI.  Thanks again for replying.

You need to connect an stb to the coax connector then the tv to the stb.  The stb translates the signals coming in back to the channels to deliver to the tv.

You could try connecting your router to that coax adapter in the office.  If it sees the internet it will get an ip address and show wan active.

0 Likes