Coax to Ethernet - Fios Network Adapter
MR991

Hi there, 

Can I convert my coaxial cable to ethernet? I saw there is FiOS network adapter that looks like it could do that.

Currently, I have a old Wireless N FiOS router that has a Coax cable plugged into it for the internet. I want to use my own router and get rid of that Verizon FiOS N router. Can I substitute my Verizon router for a FiOS Network Adapter? And then just plug in the router of my choice into that adapter that is connected to the Coax line? 

Right now, my Fios router seems to be acting like a Network adapter for me. But it limits my internet speeds due to the limitations of Wireless N. 

Link to the adapter picture for reference : https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/network-adapter

0 Likes
Can I use a Fios Network Adapter instead of verizon router and then use my own router?
MR991

I've had Fios for like 7 years with 100mbps service. Do I need to upgrade my ONT in order to get faster speeds? I currently have the Wireless N fios router. But I'm thinking of getting rid of it and using a Fios Network Adapter to access the internet through that and use my own router. I'm paying $70 for 100mbps, but faster speeds seem to have cheaper prices, but my current router is like limiting what I can do with it. Verizon wants me to buy a $300 router from them in order to get faster internet speed. I cant front that in this pandemic. Can I just get a $55 Fios Network Adapter and plug that into the Coax and then just use my own router and change my plan to reduce my monthly cost? In the end the internet speed is faster too with those cheaper plans. 

0 Likes
Re: Coax to Ethernet - Fios Network Adapter
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The FNA (Fios Network Adapter) you are alluding to only meant to work on the Local Area Network (LAN) side, that is your home network, behind the router. What you are looking for if a MoCA adapter that works on the WAN side.

Furthermore, I don't think whether the FNA works on the WAN side or not is your root problem. Your question really boils down to whether you can convert the Internet delivered on coax wire to Ethernet. The answer is a definite YES.

If you trace the origin of the coax wire, you will find an Optical Network Terminal (ONT). The ONT is delivering the Internet connection through MoCA. The ONT has an Ethernet port as well. Just find a way to route an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router and contact a service representative to change the ONT from MoCA to Ethernet delivery mode. Then, you are done.

As a side note, if you have ordered Fios TV service and need to access the DVR remotely, a Verizon router (G1100 or G3100) is highly recommended. The Wireless N Router to which you are referring is probably the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I. As of September 2020, that router has reached End of Life and End of Support. Customers are advised to recycle the router, even if you are renting the router.

0 Likes
Re: Can I use a Fios Network Adapter instead of verizon router and then use my own router?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Regarding FNA and Coax/Ethernet mode conversion, please reference my other response to the topic https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Coax-to-Ethernet-Fios-Network-Adapter/td-p/908439 

Please tell us your ONT model number so we can see if you need an upgrade. Notice: an ONT replacement requires a field visit and will incur a $99 one-time charge. Also, for upgrading the speed, you need to run an Ethernet wire to your router and contact support to switch from MoCA to Ethernet first. Otherwise, the system will incur a $149.99 one-time speed upgrade fee.

$70 for 100Mbps? I believe you have the legacy plan. Is the $70 for 100/100 triple play or just the Internet? If you only want Internet, the lowest Fios speed is a de facto 300/300 (some regions 200/200 but provisioned at 300/300) for $39.99 with auto pay + taxes. To switch the pricing to Mix and Match, please contact 24/7/365 Fios support through social media channels (Twitter or Facebook) or online chat. Phone support should be your last resort for saving your precious time and reducing stress on support Centers.

0 Likes