Re: Computer significantlyi "Degraded" after FIOS Broadband Install
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1

Jan,

Thanks for the clarification. I will be sure to pass this information on to the team. Please give me a little time and I will definitely get you further information on what we think may have happened.

Thanks again,

0 Likes
PoloDude
Enthusiast - Level 2
This is a program and problem that we in the field have run into an many occassions. When running an install during the web based activation, the default settings are EXTREMLY intrusive. MOst tech know to do a custum install and to deselect most of the items. Most importantly the help and support   and  the VZ service point. This problem has been brought up to national on many occassions but has fallen on deaf ears. I have personally seen where a full selection has caused the cutomers pc to fail to boot. The only thing being  a reinstall of the OS.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

For me personally, the mystery deepens....

When I responded earlier I was using my laptop. I searched that system, and no Verizon Online Help and Support. And the laptop is running just fine (I reinstalled Windows from scratch a month or so ago).

Now today, I took a look at my desktop. Guess what? I have the Verizon Online Help and Support software, the Motive stuff (junk?). Now, for a number of months this PC has been running sluggishly, I have occasionally looked to see if i could find a definitive reason, and couldn't. One problem is that I have a bunch of software installed on this PC, mostly free stuff that I install and try out to see if I can recommend it to my PC Computer Club, and I have been blaming the performance issues on something I had installed that way.

My symptoms on this PC have been primarily very slow startup of programs :MS Word, IE 7 and Firefox, even EditPad Lite and Control Panel. So today I went in and terminated the Motive thread, and wow, what a difference! So I just used Autoruns to disable the startup of Verizon Help at boot and re-booted. My PC really does run quite a bit faster without the Verizon Online Help and Support program active.

I encourage all all FiOS (and DSL?) users to check to see if they have the Verizon Online Help and Support application installed, and if so, remove it from their system (or at least stop it from running at startup).

So, a very big thanks to Jan (TruthDigger) for starting this thread, and a challenge to Larry and other Verizon folks to figure out what is wrong with this application, and immediately tell all the techs nationwide to stop installing it until it is fixed. And really, I would like to know how it got installed on my PC in the first place; it appears to have been installed in 2006, but my Verizon FiOS internet was installed in  summer 2005 and my Actiontec not until 2008, and no Verizon tech has ever touched my PC anyway. So how did I get it?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
TruthDigger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Justin,

Good to hear from you. You might also want to know the following. Because I wanted that software OFF of my machine, I totally removed the Verizon Help & Support Files using Add/Remove Programs. My PC recovered (mostly) and I thought that was the end of it but there is more . . .

Keeping a close watch on which services are running in Task Manager I discovered McciCmService.exe (another Motive file) running constantly in the background using up CPU power. When I searched I found it in Programs/common/Motive and discovered a whole bunch more! Anyway, I think I have finally gotten rid of all of them, but I keep checking. Autorun is great for spotting them as well.

Sure appreciate your comments. Let's hope some Verizon users with the problem find our forum and get their problems solved OR your advice is taken and they quit installing this stuff in the first place.

Jan

0 Likes
TruthDigger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin,

I forgot to mention I also had a delay in getting into Control Panel. In response to your question " no Verizon tech has ever touched my PC anyway. So how did I get it?"

I refer you to spacedebris who replied on 4/19 @ 1:03 PM.

"McciTrayApp.exe, is a generic program used by many programs, one of which is verizon help and support. May or may not have been installed by verizon, but sounds like it was. I found that one of the disks that come with verizons new router as well as any verizon software that gets installed, always installed the help and support program. Just the simple act of registering your acct, installs the help and support. simply go to add and remove programs and make sure that "Verizon help and support" is not one of the listed softwares. If it is there, just remove."

That is a little scary!!

Jan

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Jan,

I saw spacedebris' post, but at least for my PC it just doesn't seem to jibe timewise. I got FiOS internet in the summer of 2005 and TV in Sept. 2005. I got my Actiontec router to replace the original wired D-Link router in 2008. I am not sure what or when registering my account has to do with it, because nothing that I know of corresponds to the apparent Help installation date of 2006.

Once I stopped the startup of the motive stuff with autoruns, I have been checking frequently with the task manager to see if I can see any motive processes running and don't. So that part at least seems to be fixed. I will get around to removing the help from the installed programs list at some point, but right now I don't see any rush.

Anyway, I sure hope the Verizon folks can do something to stop this from affecting other users. And once again, thanks for starting this thread.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JNTDPT
Enthusiast - Level 2
thanks so much for posting this. I was having lots of delayed response time on my PC since getting FiOS and was getting really frustrated. then I just happened to look on the forum and read your post. I searched for and found the Help and Support Tool and deleted it, and also deleted the one Motive file. my question: I found a host of motive files on my computer--is it safe to delete all of them? right now my computer is definitely faster/more responsive.Smiley Happy
0 Likes
TruthDigger
Enthusiast - Level 2

JNTDPT,

I am pleased the posts were helpful to you. It is not a problem to delete the Verizon On-Line Help and Support using Add/Remove. That will get rid of most of them. The other offending files can be found under Programs/common/Motive. I deleted that Motive file there and things worked great after that. No more Motive files were found.  You should be safe deleting all Motive files unless they were installed with another application. You might want to "Search" them out and see where they are located. I do know the two areas I indicated are safe.

Best of luck!

Jan

0 Likes