Computers and devices can't see/talk to each other over network?
stumbleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

Since I've had FiOS installed my network has not been functioning normally. My computers can no longer see or talk to each other over the local wireless network, and my Xbox can no longer see my media server running (Connect360).

My set up: I have a Macbook Pro and a black Macbook, both connected over wireless. Firewalls are not running on either. My Xbox is a wired connection. To clarify, everything was working fine before FiOS installed this Actiontec router, so it's definitely an issue on that end, not something to do with my devices.

When I plug my Macbook Pro into the router (i.e. get on a wired connection), my Xbox can see the server and my files stream just fine. The minute I unplug, all communication ceases.

There seems to be some issue with the router being able to bridge wireless and wired connections - as if they are not even on the same network. My firmware is the latest version according to the automatic check in my router settings  (4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3) so I'm baffled as to what could be causing this. 

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this? It's quite frustrating and renders most advantages of having my laptops on a wireless local network useless.

Help!

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Computers and devices can't see/talk to each other over network?
prisaz
Legend

Have you tried resetting the router back to factory defaults? Just a thought that perhaps you may have received one that someone else had and made changes.

Edit

All ports are bridged by default, but if you are getting different IPs, it does not seem they are now. Suggest a reset.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

When on wifi do either of your Macs have any connectivity to the Internet?

Have you configured your Macs to the same encryption as the Actiontec is set for, and entered the  WEP/WPA/WPA2 password in to the Macs wifi setup?

0 Likes
stumbleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, both computers and my Xbox all connect fine to the internet. Have no issues there - speeds are as promised too (surprisingly).

I believe both computers connect via WPA, as I configured in the Actiontec security settings. Is it possible that my computers are connecting through a different security protocol? I would assume they wouldn't be able to get on the internet if they weren't connected though my configured router setting (WPA), correct?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Are you sure you're wifi connection is to your own SSID?  Not some neighbors unencrypted wifi?

0 Likes
stumbleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, definitely connected to my own SSID.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok.   I'm stumped.  I'm not a Mac guy and maybe someone who is will come up with some other ideas.

I can tell you that with my Actiontec I have no trouble with LAN connectivity between various devices, some of which are connected by wifi and some by hardwire.  What you're seeing is not an inherent problem with the Actiontec.

0 Likes
stumbleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I can say it's not limited to my Macs. My iPhone is having the same issue. Assume I'm on a windows machine - in that case, what would be a possible solution/troubleshooting technique?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Have you tried resetting the router back to factory defaults? Just a thought that perhaps you may have received one that someone else had and made changes.

Edit

All ports are bridged by default, but if you are getting different IPs, it does not seem they are now. Suggest a reset.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hmmmm.  I can't visualize having that specific problem with Windows machines.

I have two desktop PC's that are hardwired to my Actiontec (through a gigabit switch but that's irrelevant.)  I also have two Windows based laptops.  All 4 machines can see each other on my LAN, regardless of whether the laptops are connected via wifi or hardwired.

My wife has an iPhone and I have an iPad.  They connect nicely to the Internet  through our wifi, but they don't  have any LAN interface with each other or our PC's.

Can you ping either Mac's IP address from the other Mac?

edit:

Good idea prisaz.  I was assuming the Actiontec in question was installed with factory defaults but suppose it wasn't?

0 Likes
stumbleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, just did a factory reset of the router and it seems to have solved the issue! Thanks - was driving me crazy. Some legacy setting must have been interfering with the connectivity.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best...

0 Likes