Configure router for no internet except Microsoft
Mike_FIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have three desktop PCs connected to a GB ethernet switch that in turn is connected to the FIOS router.  I would like to configure the router so that one of them has no internet connection (to stop potential hackers) except that it should be able to get Win 7 updates from Microsoft. The other two PCs and any wifi connections should have full internet access. 

Can someone tell me how to do this?

Re: Configure router for no internet except Microsoft
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sign into the router.  open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit My Network  -  Find the machine in question, use two of the options next to that PC, use Block Internet Services and block all applications that you want blocked.  Also go to Block Websites.and use the option to "Allow the following Websites and Embedded Keywords within a Website" 

0 Likes
Re: Configure router for no internet except Microsoft
Mike_FIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

- Also go to Block Websites.and use the option to "Allow the following Websites and Embedded Keywords within a Website"

----------------------------

This was the option that worked - mostly - for me.  It is under Parental Controls.  In order to block all websites except for Microsoft Win 7 software updates, I set the 'allow' function for this particular computer.  I found out that this prevents anything other than the allowed sites from being accessed - I don't have to set anything in the 'blocked' function. 

So: I allowed microsoft.com, and then allowed keywords 'support', 'update', and a few others.  The minor issue is that one must now set a schedule when this is active, and there is no button for 'all the time.'  I have to individually check each day of the week, then the times of 1 AM through 12:45 AM (increments of 15 minutes only). 

If anyone has a better solution, I'd like to know.  This should certainly block outbound requests from the computer.  Can I assume it will also block inbound requests?