Connect Verizon Router to the ONT - not working
chewyhelp

Hello!

I upgraded my service to 300mbps and Verizon sent me a cable and told me to connect from the Verizon Router to the ONT.  So I connected it to Verizon's Router WAN port and I think the ONT's Ethernet port.  I am not very cable savvy btw. 

When I did this, the globe on the Verizon router started blinking red and no internet connection for devices.  (On the router, I had only the WAN port connected to the Ethernet cable and the power supply cable.)  When I reconnected the router back to the old coaxial cable, I was able to get internet so I didn't break router when I was trying to connect to Ethernet.  

I have an Alcatel Lucent ONT - here is what the case looks like (I can't upload my own pics for some reason, and this is just an internet image). - https://forums.verizon.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/20929i3B0AAC854E003C78/image-size/large?v=v2...

Here is what the ONT looks like and where that white cable is where I put my Ethernet cable into ONT (not my picture since I can't upload images).  

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/21509i26FDFFAACC9364BF/image-size/large?v=v2...

Appreciate your help, thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connect Verizon Router to the ONT - not working
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT needs to be provisioned by Verizon to send internet WAN traffic over Ethernet instead of coax.  This does not happen automatically.  It sounds like you ordered 300Mbps service and they sent you an Ethernet cable.  Once the Ethernet cable is installed in parallel with coax, you should contact Verizon to switch the ONT from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN.  If you disconnect the coax before the switch is done, you'll loose the connection.

If they had switched the connection when you ordered 300Mbps service and didn't have an Ethernet cable installed, you would have lost Internet and been sad, very sad.  By waiting until get and install the cable, they were trying to avoid sadness.

To move forward, install both Ethernet and coax to the router.  Then contact Verizon via chat and ask them to switch the ONT WAN connection from coax (they may say MoCA) to Ethernet.  It only takes a few minutes once you are chatting with them.  Once done, you can unplug coax from the router and everything should keep running.  And, it will be running at 300Mbps.  And you'll be happy, not sad.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let me see if I can condense the problem:

When you try to connect the router to the ONT by using an ethernet cable, the setup doesn't work.

If you connect the router to the ONT using a coaxial cable the setup works.

Am I close? 🤔

chewyhelp

When you try to connect the router to the ONT by using an ethernet cable, the setup doesn't work. -- Yes, that's right

If you connect the router to the ONT using a coaxial cable the setup works. -- No, this one I'm reconnecting the coaxial back to the wall and the router (it's original spot).  I'm trying to move router closer to the ONT for the ethernet so I disconnected the coaxial.  I'm thinking the ONT doesn't need coaxial connection and it just needs ethernet and power supply connected?

0 Likes
chewyhelp

Any one have any ideas?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can Verizon confirm that the Internet signal is being sent to the ethernet port? 🤔

If the router is located some distance from the ONT, could the router be moved temporarily near the ONT, connect it using a patch cord and see if the router is able to connect.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT needs to be provisioned by Verizon to send internet WAN traffic over Ethernet instead of coax.  This does not happen automatically.  It sounds like you ordered 300Mbps service and they sent you an Ethernet cable.  Once the Ethernet cable is installed in parallel with coax, you should contact Verizon to switch the ONT from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN.  If you disconnect the coax before the switch is done, you'll loose the connection.

If they had switched the connection when you ordered 300Mbps service and didn't have an Ethernet cable installed, you would have lost Internet and been sad, very sad.  By waiting until get and install the cable, they were trying to avoid sadness.

To move forward, install both Ethernet and coax to the router.  Then contact Verizon via chat and ask them to switch the ONT WAN connection from coax (they may say MoCA) to Ethernet.  It only takes a few minutes once you are chatting with them.  Once done, you can unplug coax from the router and everything should keep running.  And, it will be running at 300Mbps.  And you'll be happy, not sad.