Connecting another wireless router to the new G1100
Moonman2

I just upgraded my FIOS internet to 75/75 and received the new G1100 router today. I am currently using the Actiontec router with an older D-Link DI724GU router (need the USB for network printing) and would like to duplicate this replacing the Actiontec with the new G1100. Has anyone been able to do this yet?  I had hoped to use the USB ports on the G1100 to network my printer but they are, at this point, for show only. Well you can use them to charge your cell phone (according to the 208 page manual, really). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Connecting another wireless router to the new G1100
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Should be able to it exactly the same way, just make the connections as you had them with the old Actiontec router.

0 Likes
Moonman2

You would think so, but it doesn't recognize the D Link router. Had no problem with the Actiontec.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should work.  I use my old Actiontec as an AP hanging off the G1100 to extend 2.4GHz range.  It works fine.  I did have to configure the Actiontec to operate as an AP instead of a router and it's connected using a LAN port.

Can you give more detail beyond "doesn't recognize?"  Does the D-Link get an IP address?

How are you connecting your D-Link to the G1100?  How is the D-Link configured?

Enjoy,.

0 Likes
Moonman2

thanks for your reply. I have tried connecting the D Link router WAN to WAN and WAN to LAN and LAN. I don't know what an "AP" is.Would you please explain?  When I try to access the dlink through the 1100 I get no response to the IP address. I haven't changed how the dlink is configured from when I had it connected to the Actiontec.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

AP is "Access Point."  It appears that's what you're tyring to do with the D-Link.  The other alternative is to leave it in full on router mode, but then you'll be creating two different networks or create a DHCP server conflict.  You should learn these terms so you can understand the different ways networking equipment can be configured and determine what is best for your particular needs.

How did you connect the D-LINK to the Actiontec?  LAN-to-LAN or otherwise?

Did you change any settings on the D-LINK when using it with the Actiontec?  If so, what did you change?

If you're using the D-LINK as an AP, it's DHCP server should be turned off and it should be pulling an IP address from the main router.  When you switched the main router, the D-LINK's IP address most likely changed.  Did you check the connection table on the G1100 to find out the current IP address?  If not, do that and try accessing through that address.

You should never connect anything to the Ethernet WAN port of a Verizon router other than a cable to the ONT.  If you have a coax WAN connection, leave the Ethernet WAN port unused.

Good Luck.

0 Likes