Connecting Panasonic Blu Ray Player to Fios Internet
packer_fan
My Blu Ray DVD player, (panasonic BD50) allows firmware updates and BD Live if player is connected to Internet. I used Cat5 cable to attach player to FIOS box, used the test connection feature on the blu ray, and got nothin. How do I do this? Do I need to set the IP address, etc. settings manually? Thanks for any help.
0 Likes
Re: Connecting Panasonic Blu Ray Player to Fios Internet
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
I am not familiar with your device, but like any other internet-attached device it must have a unique IP address to send\receive.  SO, the Verizon Actiontec Router assigns network addresses via DHCP;  How is you device setup?  Static IP address or also DHCP ?  You should have some way to access\configure its settings.  You would need to change it to dynamic (DHCP) for easiest configuration.  If it requires a static ip address, that can be accomplished too. Let us know what the set-up requirements are on the device
0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I two things one do you know that its a good cable and are you plugging it into the right jack on the router.

The router has 5 RJ-45 jacks on the back 4 are for connecting LAN devices (computers and such) and one is to connect to a WAN (like the ONT).  The wan port is marked slightly differently.  You want one of the 4 LAN jacks.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
If you are attaching the BluRay player CAT5 to the FIOS set top box Ethernet port, that port is not active and only provided by Motorola for possible future use. The players CAT5 cable must be plugged into your FIOS router to get an IP address.
0 Likes
packer_fan

Well crap....I am plugging a Cat5 calble from the Fios Tv box into the Blu Ray player. I thought since I have internet too, it would "find" the internet automatically. I did go through the setup screens via the blu ray, it was automatically searching for IP addresses.....now the real question begins.

I don't have internet in the master bedroom, just the Fios HD box. The wireless router is in the spare bedroom connected to the computer and TV there....so....Is there a wireless gadget that I can plug into the blu ray player to access BD Live.

This seems to get so complicated, yet the concept in of itself is simple. I just want to hook this stuff up, like it says on the box! ARGH!

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
If you had had the cat 5 from the blue ray device connected to the router, all would be well.  DOES your blue ray device have wireless cababilities?  built in? will it use an adapter ? 
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

What you would need is a wireless bridge. About $100. Perhaps one can be found cheaper. This would give you an ethernet port and antenna for a connection to your wireless. Wireless G 54mbps.

I would say to get a CAT5 cable run if you really want the best speed for streaming.

There are also powerline ethernet extenders that plug into the wall at two locations, but I do not know how good they are.

There used to be a device available from Motorola called a Nim100 that would bridge COAX to ethernet. With this device you could get ethernet off of your coax just like the STB does. I have seen these on E-Bay.

Best bet is another hard wired connection from your router. Or move the router to the location where your BluRay player is and then use wireless for the PC in the Extra room? But this would also require a wireless adapter on your PC.

It would be nice if the STB did provide an Ethernet port for stuff like this.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-24-2009 06:28 PM
0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
hmm.  So your computer is hard wired?  is your internet connection coaxial or ethernet?
0 Likes