Connecting to Older Computer
jyurow

I am trying to connect to the Internet from an old computer in my house.  I have a FIOS router.  The old computer is running Windows 2000 professional and has a Cisco Linksys wireless communication card in it.  The computer is showing that it is successfully in contact with the FIOS router, but is not finding the Internet.  My newer computers are also in contact with the FIOS router and have no trouble getting through to the Internet.  One of the newer computers is running Windows XP and the other is running Windows 7.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Ordering FiOS Online Delivers Incredible Savings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ jyurow

Make sure that you have the correct:

#1 SSID (or name of the network).

#2 Security key if using wireless security (this can mean WEP OR WPA).

#3 If you are using MAC Address Filtering making sure the MAC Address of your computer is in there.

#4 Not hiding the SSID.

0 Likes
jyurow

My computer is showing the correct SSID and MAC and indicates that my network card is in contact with my wireless Actiontec access point; but it also indicates that my wireless access point is not connecting to the Internet.  This is odd because my main computer is attached by wire to the the access point and my laptop is attached wirelessly to the access point.  Both of these computers are accessing the Internet through the access point, but the remaining computer is not.  Note:  Before I got the Actiontec router from Verizon, I had a Cisco Linksys access point and used a different WEP access code.  All three of my computers were able to access the internet.  After I received the Actiontec access point, I changed the network name and MAC accordingly.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

start, run cmd and type ipconfig /all

and tell us what it shows.

On the w2k machine did you try running the set up a home or small office network from under my network places.  If I remember correctly that creates an internet entry which indicates what the gateway is and possibly you already have an entry that points to your old gateway.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting to Older Computer
prisaz
Legend

Check the network properties for the wireless card. Make sure it is set to obtain IP address and DNS automaticly.

It could have a static address set. Even if you have the correct SSID and KEY it will still not work.

0 Likes