connecting usb printer to fios router to use over wifi
rjw851

I've seen this question answered elsewhere but not recently. I just switched from cable modem connected to an Apple Airport Extreme (6th gen) to FIOS (without the Apple router) and despite what the tech said, the USB ports on the Quantum router are not usable for networking (confirmed by many people on these forums). I have an inkjet printer that's old but worked fine through wifi via the Airport; I'd hate to have to get a new printer (and dump a bunch of ink cartridges). Is there a way to cobble together a wifi connection to the USB printer? I tried using a free ethernet port on the FIOS router (through adapter to USB, another adapter to connect to the printer's USB cable) but that didn't work. Can I connect the Airport Extreme to the FIOS router but disable the wifi so I get the faster FIOS wifi speed, and connect the printer back into the Airport? Thanks for any advice!

0 Likes
Re: connecting usb printer to fios router to use over wifi
jonjones1
Legend

I have been pondering your question for quite some time today. However printers like you have normally are connected via USB or parallel port to a desktop or laptop or via using an adapter to connect to same.

now bear in mind you can use the other device set up as an Access Point and it should operate as it should. Now you can use the wifi from either device just make sure if you are turning one off to remember the SSID for your network.

in my home I run multiple networks with different SSID identifiers and there have been no issues so you can decide to turn the wifi off or leave on as you see fit.

i know you don't want to get rid of the printer because of all the ink, however you could future proof yourself via purchasing a wifi/AirPrint enabled printer. I have seen all in one canons go from $45-$60 and higher. But well worth the money spent.

hope it all works out, Good Luck 😀

0 Likes