Connection is very intermittent
Mimi2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

My router keeps losing connection randomly when I am using it. This happens very frequently and i have noticed that when this happens, the "Internet" light on my router turns orange instead of green. It does this even on ethernet and lasts about 30 seconds at a time. This is extremely inconvient for me as I need a very stable connection. I am sure other people have been having this problem but I need a straight answer or a solution.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Solved!
Mimi2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon tech support the other day and they sent a technician to my house after assuring me that it won't cost money if it isn't my fault. After he got here, all it took was to remove a coax splitter in the attic. I just moved into this house and the previous owner also had Fios TV. They disconnected othe TV coax wire from the splitter and only left the internet. Right now, all we have is the internet so that open port on the splitter was causing interference. In summary: it was a splitter!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Connection is very intermittent
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Mimi2009 wrote:

My router keeps losing connection randomly when I am using it. This happens very frequently and i have noticed that when this happens, the "Internet" light on my router turns orange instead of green. It does this even on ethernet and lasts about 30 seconds at a time. This is extremely inconvient for me as I need a very stable connection. I am sure other people have been having this problem but I need a straight answer or a solution.

Have you tried contacting Verizon Tech Support about the issue? They'll probably need to test your line and run through some troubleshooting with you...

0 Likes
Mimi2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I have called tech support and they have gone through some troubleshooting which did not help. Verizon also wants 91 dollars to send a technician over. I think I may have to cancel Verizon if this cannot be fixed.

0 Likes
junjun1

I'm having the exact same problem. I also noticed that when it happens my WAN Coax light is usually blinking on and off. I've called tech support twice and the first rep sent me out another router without really listening to my problem. He told me he couldn't help me because all my devices were hooked up wirelessly and they don't gaurantee those connections. So I got my new router today, set it up, and connected it to my PC via ETHERNET cable this time and called Verizon. My internet came back on and they told me to give it a few days. Well, I went upstairs to take a shower and by the time I got out my internet was out again. I'm going to give this one more day but if it happens again, then I'm going back to Comcast. Sure, they're more expensive but I shouldn't have to reset my router 8-10 times a day. I'm going to save my connection log this time too. I'm like you, beyond fed up. 

0 Likes
Mimi2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

It reassures me knowing that other people also have this problem. The way that you described your connection is like a mirror of what happens to mine. I just recently rebooted my router and ONT and tried a different router in bridge mode and I am still having these problems. Now I am led to believe that this problem lies within the wiring in my house or Verizon's wiring. Also, only one coax port in my house works now for some reason. When I first received the Fios installation box, I set it up on a coax port downstairs and then I moved it upstairs. Now, when I try moving the router to different coax ports in the house, it no longer works, including the one downstairs that I originally set it up with. At this point, I am stumped and may have to just deal with this horrible unstable connection forever. Hurry up, Google Fiber!

0 Likes
Spinner2

I too am having this same issue. I got my new router and my internet drops randomly. Both wired and wireless.  My TV will also pause. I thought I just got a bad router. I am trying to contact tech support for help with this too. I have done speed tests and get perfect connection then my internet drops and when I test it again I am getting 72% packet loss.

If anyone gets an solution to the fix please post it here.

0 Likes
junjun1

I recently moved from my apartment to a house. When I had FIOS at the apartment, the internet worked perfectly. So much so that I recommended FIOS to everyone and was so happy to find out that my house was already equipped for it. I'm actually on the phone with a technical rep now and he's telling me its my computers firewall thats interrupting the internet signal. I'm aruging with him because the only reason I'm even using my laptop is because an earlier rep told me they would not help me troubleshoot wireless connections. The rep is telling me its my laptop causing the internet outages. I find this hard to believe as the first 200 times this happened my laptop was sitting in a moving box in my basement. I only pulled it out to talk to this {please keep your posts courteous}. I think even if my internet is working again, I'm dropping FIOS. Ive been waiting to speak to a supervior for about 10 minutes now. I am now a DEMOTER!!!! 

0 Likes
Spinner2

I was able to get a tech who understood my plight and listened to all of the testing I had already done. He rebooted the ONT and so far my connection speeds are full speed. My Xbox One stilt doesn't work but all of my speed tests on my hardwire and wireless PCs are excellent.

0 Likes
Mimi2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

What about the connection drops?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds more like an ONT problem than a router issue.

Have you tried connecting the router directly to the ont with a piece of coax and seeing if it still disconnects.  If not then it's not an issue with the ont but something inside the house.  Possibly a bad splitter or loose connection there.

0 Likes