Connection issues, FIOS internet, 2/8/2015
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Having intermittent connection issues today, though nothing on outage or phone saying there's something wrong.

ONT is set to ethernet. Verizon actiontec MI424WR gen3I (or so it seems from its own menus) is directly connected to it. A PC directly connected to that gave the following speedtest graph.

Note the chop at the front, and the deep valley at the end. That up and down (and periodically gone completely) is what's been happening on and off all weekend.

It does not appear to be interfering with FIOS TV (which is good, because that's on a different channel as I understand it) though it is messing with on-demand (which needs an IP connection to set up the programming).

It's also been playing merry hell with staying connected to online games, though that's not too important. Email works, as it can wait for the periods of not-working to go away, and not suffer too much, as compared to youtube streams, for example.

So. I can't find any particularly useful things on making this any better, and the general answer from Vz is to reboot things, or recommend upgrading to quantum FIOS (which isn't an answer. 25/25 should be able to get 25. Upgrading to 75/75 to get 25 is ... lame).

Is anyone else in the Loudoun County VA area having similar experiences, or is it localized to my neighborhood (or worse, my house, though they say the ONT was fine the last time I had them check)?

Above speedtest was captured ~17:00 eastern time.

Though I'm expecting to be unhappy with the results, opening a ticket by phone now.

Edit 1: Phone ticket results in an 'outage in progress', though it doesn't show anywhere on the website or any other record. But they are experiencing Something, and it will be done by 23:15 according to the internal notification. It started around 13:00.

0 Likes
Re: Connection issues, FIOS internet, 2/8/2015
MSlagle85
Fredericksburg, VA here and have little to no connection. It started about forty five minutes ago and am on the phone as I type.
0 Likes
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe this image to be a helpful assist to others who may be experiencing the same problem, and who obviously have access to the same Verizon provided tool.

0 Likes
Not applicable

for me theres issues every night after 7pm-11pm, download drops from 75 to 5 while upload remains 75 always.

might be maintenence right now hopefully they're trying to fix this issue and its why ur services are down

0 Likes