Connectivity varies/fails depending on device (gigabit home)
Techhope

My MacBook Pro 2019 keeps on dropping the WIFI signal, ever since Verizon forced me to upgrade to their most recent router WiFi6E (square white tower). My iPhone, MacBook Air and Roku are maintaining the connection !! When I take my MacBook Pro (the same computer) to work, it holds the WiFi signal without a problem. I even got the unit checked. Nothing was wrong with it. This is clearly an issue of communication between this updated router and my MacPro. My MacPro worked just fine until this new router upgrade. This is my second new router and the same thing is happening! This is infuriating! There is clearly a glitch concerning this Verizon router and certain MacBook/Mac devices. It needs to addressed!
This is awful
ALL OF MY DEVICES SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN A WIFI CONNECTION!!!
I'M PAYING MONEY FOR THIS !!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connectivity varies/fails depending on device (gigabit home)
Dcgino
Enthusiast - Level 2

The solution that seems to have worked for now for me was to do the following - 

1.  Turn off SON (self organizing network)

2.  Enable a 5g connect that is separate from the 2g connection

3.  Click "save settings on reboot" in router

Hope this helps other people.  Took many wasted hours on the phone with support and then reading the router user manual.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the MacBook Pro is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, is it able to maintain a connection, or does it also sporadically drop? Has a topic been opened on Apple's support forums to see if they (Apple) are aware of some sort of driver incompatibility with the new router? 

got_chrome

I have the same issue with my 2018 MacBook Pro (wireless) and my older iMac (wired ethernet). Can't use my new router had to go back to using old Verizon router. They replaced my new router, didn't matter. Been like this for a few months. The person at Verizon who looked into it said she believes it is an incompatibility issue but until enough people complain it won't be submitted as a problem for them to look into. iPhones and everything else fine.

Recently took my MacBook Pro to a different house that has same router and same problem. Works for a few minutes then drops connection and that's it. Unless you restart router then it will work for a couple minutes again. Very frustrating.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have SON enabled on CR1000A?

KMT-906b

I just signed up for fios and I’m having the same problem. I’m so frustrated after spending hours on the phone and having a technician come back to my home. I work from home and am on video calls all day and it’s interfering with my work and my clients are annoyed that I get dropped from the call. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the technician able to resolve the issue, or is it still occurring? 🤔

AK11456

Hi I am having the exact same issue where Macbook Pro 2018 does not stay connected to my new FIOS router for more than 15 minutes without crashing... gonna give it one more day and then switch to Spectrum. No patience for garbage like this. 

0 Likes
Fios disconnection on Macbook
rmpoeiroiewqur
Enthusiast - Level 2

We just had Fios installed 2 days ago. Connection stays strong on my HP PC, but will not stay on my 2016 macbook running OS Montery v 12.4.  We still have Comcast internet but I am not connected to that and have set my macbook to ignore that router.  I had 0 problems with Comcast Internet.  Should I drop Fios or is this an older macbook problem?

0 Likes
Re: Fios disconnection on Macbook
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using Ethernet or wireless?

OS Montery is the Operation System. Could you tell me your computer's model number? E.g. what year?

0 Likes
Re: Fios disconnection on Macbook
rmpoeiroiewqur
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is older but I had not issues with comcast.  MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

0 Likes