Constant buffering during a Vanguard webinar
DallasTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the Dallas area and have 35/35 Internet speed.  Up until about a month ago I've been very happy with my FiOS Interent.  But during the past month I've gotten "page unavailable", generally slow speeds, and just now the Vanguard Webinar that I was very interesting in, was unwatchable due to almost contant buffering.

I don't stream movies or videos with the exception of occational YouTube videos so I'm not abusing the network.

Whenever I run speed tests the results are very good, often exceeding the speed that I'm paying for.

What is happening? 

0 Likes
Re: Constant buffering during a Vanguard webinar
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try running this tool and posting up the URL to the results page for us to see. The tool requires Java support, so make sure the plugin is up to date. You should use either Java 7 Update 60 or Java 8 Update 5.

What this tool will do besides checking speed tests, is it will also tell us if you're seeing data loss or DNS issues. It tests against Amazon EC2.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu

0 Likes
DallasTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you very much.

I hadn't run netalyzr before.  It didn't show any problems.  It did detect certain Internet security items that are in place.  The only questionable thing was that addresses that are unresolved by DNS are routed to Verizon to show other possibilities.  I had been aware of this.

Again, thank you for pointing out this tool.  I'll run it periodically.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure thing. To fix the issue with Verizon's DNS redirecting to a search page for invalid domains, you can change the last section of the IP address for both DNS servers from .12 to .14. Or you may try public DNS like OpenDNS or Google DNS.

If Netalyzr doesn't show any real issues with the connection itself, then we'll need to look at other avenues for problems, for example transit issues.

0 Likes