Re: CR1000A and G3100 MAJOR ISSUES!
dg224
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just contacted Verizon support. They want to send me a replacement router. I doubt it will fix the issue, but I obliged. I tried connecting directly to the ONT and got much more respectable uploads of 700 mbps+ compared to the 50 mbps I was getting going though the router. The issue is also inconsistency. Sometimes though the router the speeds are "okay" at 200 mbps (still a horrible result) and other times they're abysmal at 50 mbps. I really need to be getting the old 900 mbps+ speeds I used to get. Maybe a slight ONT issue or saturated line to my place combined with an issue at the router too? It really blows my mind how this brand new 2022 model router could be the problem and giving substantially worse speeds than a model I had from 2015. Do I just need to get my own powerful router because this CR1000A won't cut it for even gigabit speeds? Maybe build something custom? Can't deal with this inconsistency and slow upload speeds. It's impacting my work.

dg224
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I received my replacement CR1000A. I plugged it in and swapped my PC over. Still only 50 mbps upload. Tested on both ethernet and WiFi 6E. Tried a brand new CAT 7 cable even though the previous one was also a new replacement. Now I finally managed to get a 700 mbps upload result. By the time I went to test it on my other PC, it had already gone back to 50 mbps max. Then I went and tested it again over ethernet - once again only 50 mbps. So the issue was fixed for maybe one minute total. So the new router did not fix the issue at all. The only time I’ve gotten a good result is right after I switched the cable from the ONT to the router (and it only lasted a minute). Maybe because the ONT or router rebooted or something? Does anyone have any input? I don’t think Verizon should really ask a customer to do more troubleshooting than I have already done. I don’t think most people are willing replace the router, multiple ethernet cables, use multiple PCs for testing, manually change many settings, and even buy a PCIe WiFi 6E adapter for additional testing. I just want the speeds I pay for, not literally 1/20th of the speed. I can’t take another chat with them trying to ask me to do basic troubleshooting steps.

dataqueue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stop wasting time with the new router CR1000a. It's very buggy. Speed is not stable, wired and wireless. The 6E band is a joke.

anossier
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same boat here, owned the G1100 for many years and got the new CR1000A today. Uploads are extremely slow. Please post updates.

stoggy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is intentional sending out routers that throttle computer uploads. It's the only logical explanation. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am going to test my CR1000A with two 2.5GbE adapters one at the WAN side and another at the LAN side to see.

Killmas
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I have literally the exact same problem going on with my CR1000A (upgraded from G1100). Verizon speed tests run great, any other speedtest site shows significantly slower (~200-250 Mbps) upload speed (again same conditions, using the 1Gbps plan).

I have tried playing with the firewall settings to no avail. I also tried using the router connected to a 1Gb interface (instead of a 10Gb interface) to see if that made a difference, but also to no avail.

I think this is isolated specifically to the router (or some interaction between CR1000A version router and ONT), because I still have my G1100, and when I swap it back instead of the CR1000A, my upload speed via external speedtest sites returns to expected upload.

What is interesting (I guess) about this problem is that download seems completely unaffected. Only Upload is a problem.

Note, I have tested using the 10G LAN1, and both LAN 1/2 (i.e. the 2.5 Gbps ports) on the CR1000A, connected to a Mikrotik S+RJ10 (capable of operating at either 10G or 2.5G, which I did see correctly switching for the correct interface speed depending on which LAN port I was connected to), and I also tested to connected to a regular 1G RJ45 port. In every scenario, upload speed is slower than expected, except when measured via the Verizon speed test (all other speed test sites come back as slower than expected).

I am wondering if this can be fixed by Verizon via firmware/software update, or if there is some latent defect with the router hardware. I have to imagine, given that I don't "think" Verizon is lying in their speedtests, that this is something that can be fixed in the firmware/software of the router. It would be nice to hear from Verizon that that is in the cards though...

Killmas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if this is related, but it looks like Verizon is releasing a CR1000B in 2023.

Seems a little suspicious that the brand new CR1000A router already needs a revision...

Really do wish that Verizon would either acknowledge there's a defect with the CR1000A that can't be fixed (except with a hardware change) or issue some kind of firmware fix to solve the upload problems.

VoltronTitan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don’t think this is limited to the G3100 or the Cr1000A because I use a third party high end router and get the same issue. Download speeds are mostly consistent, but upload speeds are laughable, especially for allegedly symmetrical speeds. 

dg224
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's interesting to see that so many people are also having similar issues. At my other house with my old router on the gigabit plan I was getting 900 mbps uploads at all times (and still am). Today at a different location I am still getting 50 mbps uploads on a 1 gbps plan (with the new router). It's insane. Like some other commenters said, the Verizon speed tests always somehow seem to be fine. But then any actual real world use drops harder than I have ever seen before. Things that would take me 20 minutes now take almost 7 hours. It's completely unacceptable (yet they are happy to keep taking my money every month for the gigabit plan). I keep getting generic answers from customer support agents who don't have the faintest idea about anything related to how the routers actually work and the hardware and firmware... I will have some respect for Verizon again when they connect me with an actual engineer who can either admit the routers are MAJORLY flawed or provide a single working solution (I need to keep using Verizon's router because third party routers seem to change the IP dynamically more often, and I need a static IP).

0 Likes