Customer support is not aware of Fios connection problems
billrp
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's too bad Fios tech support doesn't have access to Verizon network failures, or maybe Verizon doesn't even know when their network is broken?

Starting Thursday Nov. 5 we were getting intermittent connections.  Sometimes we couldn't access web sites, and tracert always showed timeouts at the same verizon-gni.net router.  Connection problems got progressively worse and three calls to Verizon tech support on Saturday Nov. 7 simply resulted in claims that our wiring or router is bad,a dn that Verizon's network is perfect.  (We're in Maryland, just north of Baltimore)

But then I checked dslreports.com, which has reports of continuous pings from Fios customers throughout the country, and sure enough starting Thursday there are many ping timeouts, as reported by volunteers.  And then starting late Saturday night, Nov 7, connections are back to normal.

Why isn't this kind of connection timeout information available to Verizon?  Don't they monitor their own network?  It seems like they don't.

If only customer support had simply said:  Verzion currently has some conenction problems, we'll fix it soon.  Instead, I spent 2 hours on the phone, several hours swapping routers, bypassing my home wiring to go straight to the ONT, etc.

So - next time you experience Fios internet connection problems, it's good to check dslreports.com and their Fios ping reports to see if you're not alone.

Re: Customer support is not aware of Fios connection problems
KlassiK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon tech support over the phone and even on the forums are really unreliable. That being said, just use a different website to resolve this issue and try to find other people with the same problem. You mentioned dslreports, I think there is another popular place too.

Verizon support will just tell you the basics like reset your router, or leave it unplugged over night which never fixes anything. 😐

0 Likes