DDoS Attack
leftyisback

Can i get someone from support to help with possible ddos attack and maybe a permanent solution for me.  I am a livestreamer on twitch and i do lot of charity streams and some immature people keep on getting my ip and ddos me and hit me offline not only the game my whole internet goes out and comes back on. 

Maybe verizon is throttling my internet but i hope not. If so can you please take a look and give me a reply.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DDoS Attack
Maywum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you 100% positive its a DDoS attack and not just general packet loss? How long does it usually last and how frequently does it occur? What part of the US are you in and have you tried any trace routes to see if it could be a certain FiOS node that isn't working correctly?

Next time it happens, try the following:

- Open command prompt and run a tracert to an ip that you are currently trying to connect to (IE: Teamspeak or Ventrilo server)

- If you can open a webpage (even if its slowly) try a speed test to see how slow your speeds are.

- If you are running any type of VOIP program (teamspeak or ventrilo) see if it shows any packet loss. (record when this happens also)

That information will help a lot.

Usually hops 2-4 are all Verizon equipment (might vary per region) and usually the 5-6th hop times out always (since it deny's ping requests). After that however, it travels on fiber that is contracted out by verizon via another networking company.

View solution in original post

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. Please visit our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
Maywum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you 100% positive its a DDoS attack and not just general packet loss? How long does it usually last and how frequently does it occur? What part of the US are you in and have you tried any trace routes to see if it could be a certain FiOS node that isn't working correctly?

Next time it happens, try the following:

- Open command prompt and run a tracert to an ip that you are currently trying to connect to (IE: Teamspeak or Ventrilo server)

- If you can open a webpage (even if its slowly) try a speed test to see how slow your speeds are.

- If you are running any type of VOIP program (teamspeak or ventrilo) see if it shows any packet loss. (record when this happens also)

That information will help a lot.

Usually hops 2-4 are all Verizon equipment (might vary per region) and usually the 5-6th hop times out always (since it deny's ping requests). After that however, it travels on fiber that is contracted out by verizon via another networking company.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you think it's a DDoS, make sure you are not broadcasting things such as your host name, Skype name, or any other account you stay signed into on the stream. I would also suggest against joining community servers in games, where an attacker watching your stream can get your IP easily.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes