Dear Verizon!
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

To whom it may concern:

Please upgrade the firmware for your MI 424WR Rev 3i router so the host USB sockets become useable. For me it would mean my printer and storage can again be mounted to your router and my secondary router would not be necessary. Thanks.

Joel

Re: Dear Verizon!
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Maybe post this here - Share Your Ideas with Verizon

nj_taxpayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

@joelw1351 wrote:

Please upgrade the firmware for your [emphasis added] MI 424WR Rev 3i router so the host USB sockets become useable ...

As I read it, the Actiontec is a Verizon-branded product,  but is otherwise designed and manufactured by Actiontec.  This means any firmware updates will be provided by Actiontec, not Verizon.  This may be painfully obvious, but I thought it worth mentioning because, like you, I am using a secondary router for USB storage and wireless and would like to  see the Actiontec USB activated just to have additional options on the network.

0 Likes
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

I checked the Actiontech site and none of the firmware for the VZ router has a non VZ router firmware available to update.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@joelw1351 wrote:

I checked the Actiontech site and none of the firmware for the VZ router has a non VZ router firmware available to update.

Its probably hidden.  for my rev d its https://upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR/MI424WR.rmt  .  At least for this model router you could find the address after logging into the router by going into advanced, firmware upgrade.

joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I did that I found https://upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR but it was firmware .20 I have .22 so it is older than my version. So I wouldn't force the upgrade.

0 Likes
nj_taxpayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

@joelw1351 wrote:

I did not suggest that it is a good idea to update the VZ-branded router with non-VZ-branded firmware. Rather, the emphasis is that the update will have to come from Actiontec rather than VZ. Incidentally it is well known (see DSLReports) that the Actiontec firmware update server is usually 1 or 2 versions out-of-date. Not sure why that is, but be aware.  Good luck.

0 Likes
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I will contact Actiontech and see what they have to say.

0 Likes
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

UPDATE: According to Actiontec they do not have a time frame when the router firmware will be updated. but when it is the router will update by itself.  Below is their reply.

============================================================================================

Hello Joel,

We currently do not have any information regarding a timeframe as to when a firmware update will become available that will enable the USB ports to be used by the consumer.   In the event that such a firmware becomes available, your router will automatically receive the update from Verizon.
0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@joelw1351 wrote:

Please upgrade the firmware for your MI 424WR Rev 3i router so the host USB sockets become useable.

I don't understand why people think it is a good idea to hang printers and storage on a router.

A router is designed to route ethernet frames efficiently.  USB is a very inefficient protocol.  It causes an interrupt to the CPU every 16 bytes, while the router ports only interrupt the CPU on a complete frame (1500 bytes).  Transfer of a single disk sector causes 32 interrupts to the router.  If you want an efficient network, let your router do what it was designed to do and route packets.  Likewise, get a real NAS with a gig-E connection and a network attach printer.