Re: Dear Verizon!
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

First off I have the equipment and can't afford to buy all new. Yes I understand what your saying but it works fine on my Airport Extreme, but it would be nice to be able to have only one router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@joelw1351 wrote:

Please upgrade the firmware for your MI 424WR Rev 3i router so the host USB sockets become useable.

I don't understand why people think it is a good idea to hang printers and storage on a router.

A router is designed to route ethernet frames efficiently.  USB is a very inefficient protocol.  It causes an interrupt to the CPU every 16 bytes, while the router ports only interrupt the CPU on a complete frame (1500 bytes).  Transfer of a single disk sector causes 32 interrupts to the router.  If you want an efficient network, let your router do what it was designed to do and route packets.  Likewise, get a real NAS with a gig-E connection and a network attach printer.

I was abut to say. I know the routers have pretty decent CPUs in them, but USB is just a killer on them. It's why I dispise USB for anything but basic storage such as Flash Drives or for keyboard/mouse. Anything high bandwidth absolutely tears at the CPU and is *usually* the reason why older systems I service with USB-based NICs "die" when I push anything in excess of a certain amount. Ex; a 1.8Ghz Celeron easily gets consumed on 20Mbps of transfer over a networking card on USB.

In addition, the lack of CPU power on the router and the inefficiency of USB is what makes many USB-based NAS on router systems work horrible compared to a more dedicated solution or setting up a very low power PC (such as something running an Atom with dedicated network cards) as a NAS.

0 Likes
joelw1351
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do agree with you, but I must do what I can afford.

0 Likes
minded
Contributor - Level 1

It bothers me when people's solutions to a problem is "BUT MORE $TUFF!"

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:
... I know the routers have pretty decent CPUs in them, but USB is just a killer on them ... Anything high bandwidth absolutely tears at the CPU  ... the lack of CPU power on the router and the inefficiency of USB is what makes many USB-based NAS on router systems work horrible compared to a more dedicated solution ...
My experience exactly.  I have a 3TB USB3 external storage drive plugged into an ASUS RT-N16 router (running Tomato USB software) behind the Actiontec.  For all practical purposes it is essentially useless for transferring any large files.  Also even when plugged directly into one of my new Intel i7-based 16G RAM boxes directly, the USB3 external drive is very inefficient.  I know now that I should have gone the eSata route but unfortunately did not.
0 Likes