Default admin password of new Verizon router doesn't work.
WarpNine1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The default admin password printed on the label on the back of my new Verizon router doesn't work, it is rejected by the device as an invalid password - even after resetting the device to its factory settings via the hardware reset button.  I tried some other obvious default passwords like "password", "password1", and a blank value too - but none are accepted by the device.  Seems like the device I was provided isn't configured or working properly, which is a concern now that it is inside my home network.  Any thoughts or suggestions for logging into the devices admin account would be appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Default admin password of new Verizon router doesn't work.
WarpNine1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally got someone on the phone who was able to explain that the 192.168.1.1  device I was actually logging into was the entry point router at the other end of the house - not the extender that was sitting right in front of me.  Once I got the default password off the label from that device, I was able to log in successfully and reconfigure it (new admin password and turning off the Verizon wi-fi totally).  This problem could have been avoided if the on site tech had explained it at all, which he did not do.

I found that the IP address of my extender was actually 192.168.1.100, not the 192.168.1.254 described in the on-line instruction manual.  I still wasn't able to log into it with its printed default admin password until I tried the new admin password I'd just set on the main router - which worked perfectly.  The extender had mirrored the new admin password and disabled the Verizon wi-fi as I'd done on the main router - so everything's good now.

Thanks all, for your assistance!

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the router purchased from Verizon or from a third party (Ebay and so on)?

Routers have two passwords by default. One is the Administrative password and the other is for connecting to Wi-Fi. Make sure the correct password is being entered.

Lastly, ensure you're entering the correct IP address for the router and are connected to FiOS as opposed to the old ISP. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure that is a G3100 not an E3200?

WarpNine1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I finally got someone on the phone who was able to explain that the 192.168.1.1  device I was actually logging into was the entry point router at the other end of the house - not the extender that was sitting right in front of me.  Once I got the default password off the label from that device, I was able to log in successfully and reconfigure it (new admin password and turning off the Verizon wi-fi totally).  This problem could have been avoided if the on site tech had explained it at all, which he did not do.

I found that the IP address of my extender was actually 192.168.1.100, not the 192.168.1.254 described in the on-line instruction manual.  I still wasn't able to log into it with its printed default admin password until I tried the new admin password I'd just set on the main router - which worked perfectly.  The extender had mirrored the new admin password and disabled the Verizon wi-fi as I'd done on the main router - so everything's good now.

Thanks all, for your assistance!

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

192.168.1.254 is the default IP address of the E3200 BEFORE its discovery of a G3100 on the link. I am not sure this is written in the manual.

Also, any two network hosts should have two or more different IP addresses. Of course, one host can have multiple IP addresses. Think of this this way, any person can have multiple phones with multiple phone numbers, but you cannot have two phones with the same number. So any two network hosts should have two different IP addresses. In case G3100's host discovery failed to discover the E3200, you can use ping scan to manually discover the IP address of the E3200.