Desktop speed is great 30/28mbs but PS3 speed is only 11/1.8 mbs.
scottyknew
Enthusiast - Level 2
Re: Desktop speed is great 30/28mbs but PS3 speed is only 11/1.8 mbs.
scottyknew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was told wireless speed may not be as good as lan....so i wired directly from the router to the PS3 and speed only increased slightly. Went from 7.8/1.3mbs to 10.8/1.8 mbs. I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me with a possible solution since the reason I pay for 25/25 is because I want to be able to game better on my ps3. Maybe a simple router setting but I dont even know where to begin to look for that. Please Help.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are many reasons wireless speed may be less, which is why you need to test from a wired connection.

What speeds are you getting from a wired desktop?

• Have you tried rebooting (power cycling) the router?
  • If that doesn't help, then try resetting the router to factory defaults (reset button on back).
  • Have you run the FIOS optimizer on your PC?

If after trying these suggestions your wired speeds don't improve, call the FSC for help?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

also try this from actiontec (this assumes you have an actiontec router)

How to setup the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router for multiplayer gaming with the Wii and Xbox gaming con...

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

On your PS3, two things, make sure on wireless you are using 802.11G for the faster speed.

On the Actiontec router look at the port speed and duplex located under advanced, port configuration.

See what is being detected.  You should see 100 Full.

Jim

0 Likes
scottyknew
Enthusiast - Level 2
Getting 30/26mbs on the desktop. Tried rebooting router...no luck so far haven't been able to locate my router settings yet.
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

@scottyknew wrote:
Getting 30/26mbs on the desktop. Tried rebooting router...no luck so far haven't been able to locate my router settings yet.

you can access your router setting by typeing 192.168.1.1 int a browser,i also am having less then great speeds,but i blame the PS3 for this as all other devices on my network work great,have you tried setting up a DMZ for your PS3.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/610541

darkiya
Enthusiast - Level 2

We had this issue as well with our console systems but it wasn't until I was playing around on my laptop and trying to do the same thing that we solved it.  I don't know if it's the same issue but when we gave my laptop a hardline connection it was still running at a sluggishing 11MB connection according to SpeedTest.com

I then noticed that my Wireless was still active and was taking precedence over my hardline connection (I guess confusing the heck out of it or something).  I disabled/disconnected wireless and all of a sudden I was lightning fast!  This may be the same thing with the console so try making sure you're disconnected from the wireless.

RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is nothing wrong with your setup as you're getting 30/28 on your desktop. Your PS3 is getting connected to the internet just as fast as the other devices on your network. The difference is in how the speed tests are conducted on the desktop vs. the PS3.

What most likely is happening is that you use a service like SpeedTest.net on your desktop to find out how fast your connection is. SpeedTest.net (and other similar internet speed tests) connect you to the nearest and fastest server to do the test. The server could be just a few miles away so the speed test maxes out your connection. 

On your PS3 you probably use the built in speed test. This connects you somewhere else..... Namely the PlayStation Network server. But unlike the SpeedTest.net server, the PlayStation Network server probably isnt near your house as Sony only has a couple of these in the entire country. As a result you only connect at 11/1.8, even though you could potentially connect faster. The same low speed could be replicated on your desktop if you used SpeedTest.net and selected a place on the map that's far from your house.

Same exact thing happens to me on my PS3.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
While it tends to not give good results for those with low receive windows, have you PS3 owners tried using a site such as testmy.net or another speed testing site via the web browser on the PS3? You should be able to get some better results through that than the internal test. Try to avoid any speed test site using heavy flash animation such as speedtest.net's applet. PS3s won't test nicely with that.
0 Likes