Disable the ethernet port on your wireless router
Neil2903
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone know how to do this?

Re: Disable the ethernet port on your wireless router
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

AFAIK you cant.

But for my own edification...Why would you want to?  There may be another solution depending on what it is that your trying to accomplish.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Neil2903 wrote:

Does anyone know how to do this?

Your post is not clear.

• Are you trying to disable only one port or all four ports?
  • Are you referring to the LAN ports or the ethernet WAN port?

If you mean all four LAN ports, you can do that.

• Click on My Network
  • Network Connections
  • Select Ethernet under Network (H/O)
  • Disable

As Spacedebris said, why would you want to do that?

Neil2903
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to keep my wireless network on only. I dont want the LAN ports used at all.

how do I find my network though,

where do I go for that.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.    passwords are case sensitive 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Neil2903 wrote:

how do I find my network though,

where do I go for that.

Login to the router.  Hubrisinxs explained how to do that.

Once you're logged in, the main status page is displayed.

My Network is the third icon at the top of the page.

I would still like to know why you want to disable the LAN ports.

Leaving them active has no affect on the performance of the router.

Be aware that if you have issues with the router, you may not be able to log into it wirelessly and may need a wired port to access it. If you've disabled all the wireless ports, you will have to do a hard reset of the router in order to get in.

Re: Disable the Ethernet port on your wireless router
cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

This is a good question, however you don't need to worry about the Ethernet connection,actually is not possible to

disable them.

Over the past decade, Wireless networking has significantly grown in popularity. It is so widely used that it can be found in many homes, airports, cities, and schools world-wide. The popularity of WiFi is due to its low-cost and how easy it is to setup the network. This allows average consumers to setup networks anywhere that they have an Internet connection. Also, the fact that it is almost impossible to buy a laptop that does not have a wireless card built into the screen will ensure that WiFi’s popularity continues to grow.

WiFi is the short-name that refers to the 802.11 networking standard that is promulgated by the IEEE. Every time a standard is updated, a new letter is added to the end of the designation. This normally equates to an increase in potential bandwidth and security protocols with the standard. For example, WiFi started seeing a significant increase in usage starting with the 802.11B version of the protocol and has continued to be upgraded since then.

Wireless networks use radio frequency waves that are transmitted in the 2.4 Ghz to 5 GHz spectrum that are very similar to television or cell phone signal transmissions. When your computer is connected to a wireless network, its wireless adapter will encode information into a radio signal and then transmit it using the wireless antenna that is normally built into the screen of new laptops. Wireless signals can also be received via an external antenna plugged into the USB slot of a computer. The WiFi router for the network then receives this information, decodes it, and sends to the Internet through a wired, high-speed connection.

In the modern world of computer science, many people require that their computer systems be portable and accessible everywhere they go. Because of this, users need a standard way of diagnosing how portable and accessible their laptop really is. Windows and other operating systems ship with a WiFi signal strength meter but this is usually basic  and doesn't really tell the user much about their wireless signal. Fortunately, there are many other programs available that do the same thing but show the user more details about their wireless connection.

Try first downloading the program inSSIDer from the net and you will check if another wifi connection is giving you problems

of transmission.

Good Luck!

Re: Disable the Ethernet port on your wireless router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@cbwoodstock91 wrote:

you don't need to worry about the Ethernet connection,actually is not possible to disable them. 

Wrong.  I posted instructions above on how to do so.

And how does cutting and pasting from http://www.tech-faq.com/how-does-wifi-work.html answer the OP's question about how to disable the LAN ports?