Disconnect every 60 mins
teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had FIOS for more than a year with solid service. However the past 4-5 weeks I get periodic disconnects that happen every 60 minutes. For example my router log shows:

[Internet connected] IP address: {edited for privacy}, Monday, Jan 25,2021 09:23:45

[Internet connected] IP address: {edited for privacy}, Monday, Jan 25,2021 08:23:41

[Internet connected] IP address: {edited for privacy}, Monday, Jan 25,2021 07:22:58

Nothing has changes in my setup. Since I, like so many people, work from home this is a major pain, as these interruptions last 10-30 secs and often happen in in the middle of a video call. Again, no configuration has changed, this just started happening.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disconnect every 60 mins
teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW, my original problem was definitely the ONT. Got it replace and service solid once again.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry, you can't show your public IP address here.

Where are you seeing this log? LAN DHCP or WAN DHCP log?

teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its from my Netgear Router, this is showing that the WAN IP is re-acquired every 60 mins.

0 Likes
teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning just saw another explicit disconnect, doesn't look like DHCP timeout:

[Internet connected] IP address: x.x.x.x, Tuesday, Jan 26,2021 05:17:20
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, Jan 26,2021 05:17:18
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Jan 26,2021 05:03:35
[Internet connected] IP address: x.x.x.x, Tuesday, Jan 26,2021 05:03:34
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Jan 26,2021 04:03:35
[Internet connected] IP address: x.x.x.x, Tuesday, Jan 26,2021 04:03:34

The hourly disconnects happened at 3 mins after the hour. Then there was a disconnect followed by re-connect at 17 mins after the hour.

This is getting really irritating. These 2 sec disconnects kill any online meeting and the reconnect is not instantaneous.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon layer 3 does re-new the lease every hour. Not sure why the Netgear is taking longer than usual to re-new the WAN IP.

Besides Internet connection/disconnection, does Netgear offer other logs? Such as layer 2 statuses? Internet connection/disconnection seems to be a layer 3 status.

When the lease is about to expire, Verizon layer 3 (Juniper Networks) asks Netgear whether the WAN IP is still necessary for leasing, Netgear should reply yes. It looks it does not promptly answer Verizon layer 3, so Verizon layer 3 has no choice but to revoke the lease. Can you contact Netgear support as well?

teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm doubtful this is a Netgear issue. This system has been in place for >1 year, with no changes, and only the past few weeks has been having these disconnects. Why would the router start suddenly showing this behavior?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is unlikely that this is a Verizon layer 3 issue. The service routers at your central office relays and assigns your router a WAN IP. A service router supports hundreds if not thousands customers. If the service router is at fault, your entire neighborhood will have the same issue.

What model is your Netgear router? A G3100/G1100 and other commercial-grade routers typically log DHCP transaction and WAN connection status. Not sure whether your Netgear also logs these.

jrmonta
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having what may be the same problem.  I use my own router connected directly to the Verizon ONT and have been doing so since February 2020 without a problem.  The router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7400.  Sometime over the past month my internet connection started dropping out.  The connection between my devices and my router is fine when this happens.  They continue to have wifi and I can access the router admin pages.  But there is no connection to the internet... the Verizon backend has decided to disconnect me and I can't figure out why.  I've rebooted the router and ONT and the problem continues to occur.  It doesn't happen reliably every 60mins... or even every day.  But on days that it does occur, it happens repeatedly like today.

I called tech support several weeks ago and they could not solve the problem.  Of course it didn't occur while I was on the phone but he did see the repeated reboots that morning.  They sent a tech to my house about a week ago and he checked all of the fiber cable connections.  He also replaced my ONT and we replaced the network cable between the ONT and the router.  I thought I was good until it happened again this morning.

This morning after finding this post, instead of rebooting the devices, I've been logging into the router to release the IP and then renew it.  The IP assigned by Verizon doesn't change but it restores my connection.  The problem is that this "fix" is also only momentary just like the reboots. This last time the connection only lasted for about 20mins. Unfortunately, this router doesn't allow me to change the DHCP lease time on the internet connection (it is set for 2hours).  And the manual DHCP release/renews are not actually resulting in getting a new IP assignment.

I have not seen any DHCP transactions or WAN connection statuses in the logs.  I will try to check some more boxes to see if those events can be recorded.   

I'm going to check to see if there was a recent Netgear firmware update that coincides with these problems.

Are there any other suggestions? 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jrmonta wrote:

the Verizon backend has decided to disconnect me and I can't figure out why.

I have not seen any DHCP transactions or WAN connection statuses in the logs.  I will try to check some more boxes to see if those events can be recorded.

If you are unable to check the DHCP transactions or WAN statuses, how do you conclude it is Verizon's backend at issue here?

The Netgear router may have failed to renew the WAN IP address or have not responded promptly to offers of DHCP from Verizon layer 3. Is your Netgear router's firmware recently upgraded? You should be able to check this in the log too.

As a side suggestion, if your Netgear router does not support DHCP, WAN, system status logging, it really takes away a majority of tools that can be used to diagnose the problem. This being said, I don't see a point using your own router over Verizon's G1100. G1100 logs all system statues, security events, firewall accepts/denies, and even has a Syslog server.

teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am now thinking this has nothing to do with DHCP renewal. Just had 3 service drops the last 20 mins. Each time the red FAIL light on the ONT was on.

0 Likes