Does gateway FiOS-G1100 block VPN
hz10
Enthusiast - Level 2

First, let me emphasize that I am testing a VPN on the LAN.  It does not involve port forwarding at all.

A Windows 7 runs a VPN.  I have tested it with a Netgear gateway, and everything works perfectly and reliably.

After I replaced  the Netgear gateway wtih a FiOS-G1100, and made sure all the comptuers and devices are connected to it properly, I use a device to connect to the VPN in exactly the same way as before.   The device (an Android tablet) shows the VPN is connected, but it cannot get anything from the internet.  The VPN server shows the Android device sends quite some data, but receives very little.  Usually, it is the opposite - receives much more than it sends.  BTW, for testing, I have disabled the firewall on the VPN computer. 

Could anyone sheld some light on this?

I am switching from Comcast to Fios.  If this does not work, I will have to stay with Comcast.  The advantage of Comcast is it allows you to choose any gateway you like, so you have a lot of control over the gateway.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does gateway FiOS-G1100 block VPN
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't have Verizon TV service using Verizon stb, you can use whatever router you wish.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't have Verizon TV service using Verizon stb, you can use whatever router you wish.

hz10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  I do not seem to get notification of the activities of this thread.  I have just seen it.  Unfortunately, I have already ordered a  FiOS-G1100 to replace the rented one. 

It is really good to know this because I do not need any TV service (have not had it for over a decade). 

0 Likes
bendicott
Enthusiast - Level 2

While Verizon advertises that most routers can be used, they tried (and failed, for several days) to get a working connection through my Netgear r6300 (unfortunate, as I'd only had it a couple of months at the time).

I ended up renting a G1100 - I've not set up a local VPN, but I can say that I'm able to connect to my office's VPN over WAN with no trouble.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does not advertise that most can be used, but they can.  Certainly the Netgear G6300 will work as a number of people have mentioned using one.  With these routers you do have to get Verizon to enable the Ethernet connection to the Ont.

0 Likes