Does my Fios Westell router have Bluetooth capability?
maxsrq
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use only a laptop (MacBookPro).   Currently my Fios router is used to connect to a Roku device to watch Netflix movies wirelessly.  I'm trying to find our if I can unplug my internet cable connected to my laptop so I can take it to other areas in the house.   When I go to my Bluetooth and browse,  this router does not show up as a bluetooth device.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does my Fios Westell router have Bluetooth capability?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxsrq wrote:

However, it does have wireless capabilities, is there a way I can set up my macbookpro laptop to work wirelessly at home?  It works in the airport and other areas with free wi-fi.

Of course, set up a wirless connection, as you do in the airport, to the broadcast signal from the router.  When they gave it to you they gave you the ssid and key - its a wep key which isn't particulary secure.  I would suggest you change to it wpa/2 and give it the key of your choice and then add the same details to your mac.

To change the wireless setting on your router run a browser to 192.168.1.1 and login as administrator - if you never changed it it will be user admin and password password or password1

Select change wireless settings under quick links on the left

Select the advanced security settings on the left

Select the appropriate radio button for which you want to use

If using wpa  I would suggest you select pre-shared key with TKP and AES

Apply

That's it.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 To the best of my knowledge, this router does not have that capability.

#2 But it does have Wireless capability (802.11b and 802.11g). Maybe in the future, it may have 802.11n...

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxsrq wrote:

I use only a laptop (MacBookPro).   Currently my Fios router is used to connect to a Roku device to watch Netflix movies wirelessly.  I'm trying to find our if I can unplug my internet cable connected to my laptop so I can take it to other areas in the house.   When I go to my Bluetooth and browse,  this router does not show up as a bluetooth device.

No

Nor does the USB port on it work so you can't connect a usb BT adapter to it.

maxsrq
Enthusiast - Level 2

However, it does have wireless capabilities, is there a way I can set up my macbookpro laptop to work wirelessly at home?  It works in the airport and other areas with free wi-fi.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxsrq wrote:

Of course, set up a wirless connection, as you do in the airport, to the broadcast signal from the router.  When they gave it to you they gave you the ssid and key - its a wep key which isn't particulary secure.  I would suggest you change to it wpa/2 and give it the key of your choice and then add the same details to your mac.

To change the wireless setting on your router run a browser to 192.168.1.1 and login as administrator - if you never changed it it will be user admin and password password or password1

Select change wireless settings under quick links on the left

Select the advanced security settings on the left

Select the appropriate radio button for which you want to use

If using wpa  I would suggest you select pre-shared key with TKP and AES

Apply

That's it.

maxsrq
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks, that worked.  BTW, I received another comment re my question but I can't read it.  When I tried to access it I goofed on the password but then caught it, now no matter what  I do it says "access denied."    In all my years of computing, dealing with bank statements and other confidential material I never had this experience.   I can always correct my mistake and get access.   Looks like Verizon is running this discussion board as if it was a top secret intelligence operation....

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
maxsrq
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think that's the problem, I think it's some bug in the Verizon system, maybe it has to do with Java and the fact I use a mac.  I could read your reply without even logging in.  I can read all the other replies by logging in.   Only one reply results in the statement "access denied, you don't have sufficient privileges for that."    Can you access this reply and if it is not too long tell me what it is?  The author of this reply is jmw1950 (bronze contributor II).

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxsrq wrote:

I don't think that's the problem, I think it's some bug in the Verizon system, maybe it has to do with Java and the fact I use a mac.  I could read your reply without even logging in.  I can read all the other replies by logging in.   Only one reply results in the statement "access denied, you don't have sufficient privileges for that."    Can you access this reply and if it is not too long tell me what it is?  The author of this reply is jmw1950 (bronze contributor II).

That author has nothing in this thread.

You don't need to login to read the forums, logoin only needed to post.

maxsrq
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, that clarified the "mystery".