Does verizon share out internet connection with other subscribers?
pgreene1

I read in the news a few months about about a consumer (using another ISP provider) that discovered their provider allowed mobile wifi users to piggy back on home users connections to get roaming wifi service.

Does Verizon do this too? I'm asking because I constantly see a lot of activity on the router/modem lights even when nobody is using the connection at home. When I come downstairs in the morning, before anybody is even awake, and before I've done anything on the internet, the activity lights on the router are buzzing like crazy.

One night I could not connect to the internet at all, even though I could ping the router no problem. I tried rebooting the router and when it came back up my connection speeds were really really fast. For the speeds I'm paying for, I, most of the time, do not get anywhere near the speeds I'm supposed to be getting, and I'm wondering if its because of having to "share" my internet connection with people I don't even know.

0 Likes
Re: Does verizon share out internet connection with other subscribers?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

No, Verizon doesn't automatically share your wifi connection with strangers.  The cable company that serves Long Island is now doing what you described.  They have guest wifi automatically enabled on their latest routers but FiOS does no such thing.

If you would like to try to get some help with your varying speeds from fellow users here, start another thread and provide more details.  Include what part of the country you're in; if you're measuring your speeds via a hardwire (Ethernet) connection or wifi; and what model router you have.

I can tell you that with the rare exception of a few hours outage we had a few days ago, I consistenly get over 80 mb/s up and down on my 75/75 plan.  That's the way FiOS should work and does for me.

BTW, you should be able to go to the setup pages for your router in your  router and see what devices are connected to your local network.  Sign in at 192.168.1.1 on on the home page you'll see "My Network" where all devices connected will be shown.

Re: Does verizon share out internet connection with other subscribers?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to make sure that there are no loops in your network. By loops, I mean cables that connect at both ends to your router or a switch. Or, if you have a switch in the mix, more than one cable that connects between the switch and the router. Loops are bad and will do that.

Otherwise, any P2P software running on any machine that happens to be turned on overnight?

For wireless security, are you using WPA2? Have you checked the Web UI on the router to see if any unauthorized devices are connected anywhere?