Download speed much slower than upload on Gigabit Internet
Bob_D2

I have had FiOS Gigabit service for several months and am generally quite happy with it. However, I have one surprising problem.

When I run the Verizon network speed test it reports speeds over 900 Mbps bidirectionally, so I know the connection between my router and Verizon is OK. However, when I connect a computer via a Cat 5e Ethernet cable and run the device speed test, I never achieve a download speed greater than approximately 400 Mbps although uploads consistently exceed 850 Mbps. I've run the test using several new & reasonably powerful computers (a brand new MacBook Pro using a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter, a slightly older MacBook Pro using a FireWire to Ethernet adapter, and an HP Zbook Studio G3 with a built-in Ethernet connector). Results are the same on all three. I've tried disabling the firewall on the MacBooks and even reducing the security level on the router to Low but it doesn't change the results. (I can't disable the firewall on the Windows machine because it is locked down by my employer.) I've checked for competing traffic from other devices and run the test at times when there is none.

My router is a Quantum Gateway. I have a FiOS Network Extender but my cable is connected directly to the gateway, not to the extender.

A comment on the site recommends running the test with Chrome since some other browsers are known to report download speeds that are too low. I've tried that and the Chrome speeds are slightly better but still not what I expect.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Download speed much slower than upload on Gigabit Internet
Anthony91
Enthusiast - Level 3

you can do 2 things bypass all the equipment do a DHCP lease release on the verizon router and then go straight into the ONT with the ethernet cable verizon connected and speedtest at that OR call tech support  and have them do a BHR speed test to test between router and ONT.

depending how savy you are yourself  the first option could take maybe 5 mins give or take depending if everything goes smooth 

0 Likes
Re: Download speed much slower than upload on Gigabit Internet
jonjones1
Legend

Device speed tests are never the greatest even with high end equipment.

verizons speed to the home (CO to ONT) is all they consider.

the relevant speeds are only for router to Verizon and even at 400,500 etc. that is still fast as you will ever need.

0 Likes