Downloads from Amazon slow
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

I recently purchased a video download. The video is stored on one of Amazon servers (not sold by Amazon, but they provide the storage service) - s3.amazonaws.com

The speed is very slow - started with 400kB/s and now dropped at 205kB/s. A 30 minutes HD download it will take 2 hours.

How is the FiOS advertising not deceitful?

"With FiOS Quantum Internet, you can pick a movie, download it, and be watching minutes later."

0 Likes
Re: Downloads from Amazon slow
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not deceitful advertising. The capacity on the edge is there. It's a problem out towards the Internet relating to congestion that is slowing your movie download down. As to where the problem is, and whether or not it should be Verizon to blame is another question, and we'd need more informtion.

Chances are, you are routing through a point that Verizon and another set of providers could be at or near capacity with. That's up to all of the companies at play to fix.

To prove the capacity being there, wire into your router if you aren't already, and run a speed test at the following places:

http://www.speedtest.net/ (Select the nearest MAJOR city to you).

http://speedtest.verizon.com/

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

It's not deceitful advertising. The capacity on the edge is there. It's a problem out towards the Internet relating to congestion that is slowing your movie download down. As to where the problem is, and whether or not it should be Verizon to blame is another question, and we'd need more informtion.

I am not paing for speetest.com access. My contract was for Internet... as a whole.

I launched 10 download sessions of that specific file and EVERY one was getting 200 kBps, for a total of 2000. Obviously the congestion is not on the amazon server side, but on Verizon network - I saw this issue mentioned in another thread here.

0 Likes
krbrowning

Whats the point of paying for a premium service if Verizon isn't going to provide the connections necessary to download from amazon at a reasonable speed? I'm paying for 75/75 and getting 50kbs from amazonaws.

This is just bad service.

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has been broken for at least 6 months..  Add those together and you get us, who pay for fios (I have 500/500), and get screwed royally.  It is 100% in Verizon's power to fix these issues however they do not seem to care.  Maybe we have some recourse with the recent laws passed by the FCC.

0 Likes