Droping Internet Connection Randomly
blkmagic

Hello,

Recently I noticed my Internet randomly stops working for roughly 5-10 seconds. Then comes right back up. This usually happens randomly. But most often it seems when the Internet is being more heavily used.

I watched the lights on the gateway and it appears that the Internet light shuts off then, comes back orange then green immidiately. All within the 5-10 seconds.

I have reset the gateway and turned it off for 10 minutes. Nothing seems to be working.

The model of the gateway is ActionTec MI424-WR. I have had this gateway for quite some time.

When it works, it works. But it has been stumbling like this for a month or so now.

Any help/suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Droping Internet Connection Randomly
seethe42

Mine has been doing the same thing for the past 3-4 weeks. Sometimes it's every 1-2 hours, other times it goes 5-8 hours, sometimes it's every 30 mins. I've tried resetting it several times. I ran a keep alive bash script to see when it's happening. The router is clearly resetting itself at random times. When I look in the router logs it only shows starting up from the last time the internet cut out.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would start by follwoing the steps here to determine how the signal input to your router is:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

If your results are less than 200 Mb/s, you may have a problem in the coax feed from your ONT to your router.

In any case, I would call tech support and see if they offer any help.  You might urge them to send you a replacement router if they don't see anything else wrong with your system.

0 Likes
blkmagic

@eljefe wrote:

I would start by follwoing the steps here to determine how the signal input to your router is:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

If your results are less than 200 Mb/s, you may have a problem in the coax feed from your ONT to your router.

In any case, I would call tech support and see if they offer any help.  You might urge them to send you a replacement router if they don't see anything else wrong with your system.

MOCA seems to be in working order. Both stats are in the 230Mbps area.

I will have to call Verizon. Maybe the Gateway is defective.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Same here the past few days, FIOS is sending a tech out here tomorrow. Internet has been in and out for the last few days.

What is really odd that the FIOS speedtest site shows a normal download test, but the upload times out.  I suspect it is an issue on their end, as all I use their router for is wired connectivity.

0 Likes