email trouble - can't delete messages and won't go away after download
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

I hope someone can help me. Since yesterday, I have been receiving multiple copies of messages. Now I think I know the source of the problem, but do not know to fix it.

For background, I download my messages to my computer using Thunderbird. Up until recently, no problems with that - when I download, the messages are deleted from the server.

Well, today, it seems that the messages are not being deleted once I download them. To make matters worse, I am unable to delete the messages in the webmail interface! It gives me an error message "Warning We were unable to perform your request. Please try again." I have treid again, and again, and again, all to no avial. This is becoming a real problem as the messages are building up in the server - I get a lot of email.

Please, can anyone help me? Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: email trouble - can't delete messages and won't go away after download
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Tell your e-mail client not to save messages on the server.

#2 And make sure that no once has access to your e-mail client, so that they can change the setting.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi.. If your messages are not deleting off the webmail server try this.  Delete a small number at a time. Trying to delete in large groups may hang the system up. One of my accounts on a Verizon server does this. I use one email for online shopping, forms etc. and it is my junk catch all which gets a lot of spam.  I can only delete around 20 at a time or it errors on me as well.

If this doesn't resolve your problem you should call into tech support at 888-553-1555 option 2 and a ticket can be sent to the department that handles the email server so it can be investigated.

0 Likes
tjpc56
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also am getting duplicate messages even after I have deleted.I use Thunderbird and do not save on server after downloading. I went to  my Verizon enail page and tried to delete the 2 messages I had on there and VZ says they do not exist yet I can view them.The messages pop up in Thunderbird at random and in multiples.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

HI... it sounds like the email server is having issues. I would call tech support to have them create a ticket for it to be investigated.

getproblemfix

I also have this problem.  Using Thunderbird.  No change to Thunderbird.  Problem started 10/15 or 16.  Only change is MS updates to XP for security.  Suspect Verizon problem, but may have to do with MS updates.  Every time my email goes to the server (every 5 minutes) I get a new copy of the emails until I remove them from the inbox.  I have option set to not leave messages on server, and have set the Thunderbird option to not download duplicates.  Hope we get a fix soon, this is getting to be a pain.

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, everyone - I called tech support, and they told me it is system wide problem, and my experience that it is getting worse is indicative of that. I am no longer able to see messages in my inbox via the webmail interface. Just logging in give me the error message that it is unable to do as I requested.

They are aware of the problem and are working on it.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Microsoft recently sent out an update that incorrectly set the system date/time to 2008. Check to make sure your system date and time are correct, as this may be the cause of the issue. (Your client checks for new mail, and is seeing everything since 2008 as new.)

0 Likes
6t9chgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

HELP!!!   Been having the same issue & its driving me nutz!   The same emails keep coming in in droves!   I have my account set to check for new messages every minute (I have since suspended my Veizon.net account)  and the same set of 5 new messages keep coming in.

Currently using OE6 of which I thought that was the problem.   Downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird and have the same issue (will be using that program as my default now when this gets fixed...much nicer than OE6)  so it must be Verizons fault.   Started yesterday.  

Anyone have any fixes for it yet???

0 Likes
6t9chgr
Enthusiast - Level 2

FIXED!!!  Verizon did a remote desktop help & uninstalled  my email account from OE6 & reinstalled it....problem solved (for me at least)

No more duplicate emails!

0 Likes