Re: Enabling DMZ Breaks DNS
ptr727
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the advice, but that does not solve the DMZ broken DNS problem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ptr727 wrote:

Thank you for the advice, but that does not solve the DMZ broken DNS problem.

Let us try it this way, why are you using the DMZ:

#1 I guess most likely NOT because, you do not know....

a) ..what ports to forward for the app/program that you want to use 

AND OR

b) ...how to forward the ports in the router for the app/program that you want to use.

#2 Let me guess:

a) You went to grc.com -> Services -> Shield's up.

b) Clicked on Proceed

c) Clicked on All Service Ports OR clicked on Common Ports OR typed in the ports (up to 64 ports: 1056-1119) that you want to check and clicked on User Specified Custom Port Probe

d) When not using the DMZ: You got back

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

And OR

e) When not using the DMZ: Not all of the ports that you checked came back as Stealth

?

0 Likes
adw311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried this because I want to put my PS3 in the DMZ but it does not appear to be working so I thought this might be a issue. I tried the same lookup and did not have any issues resolving microsoft.com with the DMZ enabled. I have the same router but I am not sure at the moment of the firmware.

0 Likes
ptr727
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would you mind confirming the exact hardware model and firmware version you are running?

0 Likes
adw311
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sure, here you go.

50/25

model: MI424WR-GEN3I

firmware: 40.20.7

0 Likes
ptr727
Enthusiast - Level 2

That does appear to match my hardware and firmware versions.

In my case I verify that my system is set to use the router 192.168.1.1 as DNS server.

And when I enable the DMZ, nslookup starts failing after a short time.

Disable DMZ, and it starts working again.

If you can't replicate this behavior, I wonder if I have a bad unit?

P.

0 Likes
adw311
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know you have upgraded your firmware to the current, but does that maintain your settings in the process? If it does, have you tried a a reset to default settings and start over?