Enabling MoCa Bridge?
kizmit99
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Fios, with the Actiontec M1424WR router.  Currently I have Cat5 between the ONT and the router.  I have a need to add a Moca-enabled device, and would like to enable Moca bridging on the router.  I thought I would be able to do that by connecting the coax connector on the router (original not connected to anything) to a splitter that is feeding the coax out of the ONT to the rest of the house.  Even with this coax connected the router (on MyNetwork-NetworkConnections-Network(Home/Office)-Coax) is showing "Cable Disconnected".

Is there a way to enable MoCa bridging in the router, while connecting to the WAN (ONT) via the Cat5?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Enabling MoCa Bridge?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any MoCA devices on your coax?  I believe the router is really reporting if it can detect another MoCA device, not just simple cable connectivity.

Note that the router has two MoCA bridges, one for the WAN and one for the LAN. Each operates on a different frequency.  I believe both are always active and just need to see another MoCA device on their operating frequency.  Of course, with your setup, the WAN bridge shouldn't see anything.

Try putting another MoCA device on your coax and see what happens.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any MoCA devices on your coax?  I believe the router is really reporting if it can detect another MoCA device, not just simple cable connectivity.

Note that the router has two MoCA bridges, one for the WAN and one for the LAN. Each operates on a different frequency.  I believe both are always active and just need to see another MoCA device on their operating frequency.  Of course, with your setup, the WAN bridge shouldn't see anything.

Try putting another MoCA device on your coax and see what happens.

Good Luck.

kizmit99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks gs0b, you were correct.  Apparently the MoCa is enabled by default and attaching another MoCa device to the coax was all that was necessary.  The other MoCa device is a Tivo and I had tried hooking it up last night, but hadn't actually hooked it to a TV, so wasn't able to run through the setup.  I just ran through setup and when it prompted for network type I just selected MoCa and it connected up without any issues. Now the router config shows the Coax connected and MoCa bridging appears to be working fine.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes