Community Leader
Community Leader

 View #2.

Re: Enclosure Request When Upgrading ONT
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're overthinking this.

What they did at the other location was appropriate for the space there.

What they will do at your location will be appropriate for your space.  They will very likely use your backer board, because it is easier and faster than doing anything else.  Anything you can do to make the tech's job easier and faster will make them more likely to do what you want.  Also, be sure to ask nicely, otherwise they will do exactly what the are required to do and no more.

Verizon rarely uses indoor enclosures anymore.  You might get lucky, but I doubt it.  Prepare for that situation and you'll be fine.  And the ONT is fine being outside of an enclosure, just like your router and UPS.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just have a sort of outlandish suggestion: why not use a large ZipLoc© to house your Nokia ONT? You can have wires coming out of the zipped side and seal the bag as much as possible. This would hinder air flow, which is not optimal. I don't know how hot the ONT gets when operate at full capacity, that is 980Mbps symmetrical + two home phone lines + HD video.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would first consider using angle brackets and thin wood to create an overhang of sorts to prevent the dust from dropping onto the ONT (Depending upon how the Field Technician mounts the new unit).

Using a plastic bag would, undoubtedly, overheat the ONT. 😖

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I realize that I'm thinking two rooms away from the proverbial "box".

Scanning Google for pictures of FiOS ONT installations and seeing more than a few that look like garbage started me down the path of cleaning up my backboard.

The 611, even without the enclosure, could present a clean appearance thanks to places where cables can be zip-tied before termination. The Al-Lu unit...not so much. The only cable that is supported is the power connector.

I think at this juncture, I have an idea how I'll need to proceed when the time comes for upgrading. In the past, when Field Techs have needed to DPO, they are surprised to see the 66 block as that isn't commonly found in residential settings. Maybe some trade-talk would help obtain an elusive enclosure.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

I think at this juncture, I have an idea how I'll need to proceed when the time comes for upgrading. In the past, when Field Techs have needed to DPO, they are surprised to see the 66 block as that isn't commonly found in residential settings. Maybe some trade-talk would help obtain an elusive enclosure.

At least some of them know what a 66-block is.  I've a 110 block at the core of my structured wiring center, and I've yet to find a VZ tech who has any idea what to do with it.  That's okay, as I provide them with the connections they need while I take care of the rest.  It lets them get in and out quickly, and I get the wiring done the way I want.  I suggest you follow a similar plan.

From what I've heard, they haven't stocked the indoor enclosures in the garages for years.  They simply don't install them any more.  I'm still wondering why you're not as concerned about dust in your router and UPS as you are about the ONT.  The ONT is more rugged than the other devices.  If you really have that much dust, you should be protecting all of the equipment, not just the ONT.  And again, the Verizon enclosure has lots of openings that will let dust in.  You'll be much happier finding or building your own enclosure.

Also, you should upgrade!  GPON at any speed tier is awesome compared with the old BPON speeds!  What are you waiting for?  🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm somewhat less worried about the router because the vent holes are on the sides. Once in a while I'll brush off any dust that may have landed on top of it.

The upgrade is complicated somewhat by the fact that another resident of the house has been working from home since this pandemic hit. Any downtime will need to be coordinated.

Also, this other person has a landline that will be disconnected at some point. Currently we have three landlines. If we carry everything over Verizon will need to bring a unit out that supports more than the standard two POTS lines. If I can get the person to drop it beforehand, then Verizon can install a two line unit. 🙂

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agreed, that complicates things.

I don't know what ONT you'll get if you keep three phone lines.  It may be one of the  large commercial units that has it's own metal enclosure.  Or maybe not.  I just know the i-211m-l is a two line unit.

You could always port one of the lines to a VoIP service...

Downtime will be on the order of an hour or more.  It depends on how easy you make the tech's job!

I just looked at my i-211m-l.  The vent holes are on the sides and top, as seen when placed horizontally.  When mounted vertically with the lights at the top and the connectors at the bottom, there are no vent holes facing up.  All face sideways.

You mentioned a concern about connectors on the bottom.  All of the cables are fully captured.  Coax is screwed in, phone and Ethernet use the RJ45/RJ11 clips, fiber has a clip and the power cable clips in.  You can easily add whatever additional cable management suits your needs.

I do have an indoor enclosure, as I upgraded to GPON years ago when they installed them.  The top of the enclosure is fully vented.  You probably wouldn't like it, as dust can easily fall through the vents and onto the equipment within.  The ONT is held in place with a Velcro strap, giving it a little "wiggle room."  I'm not sure how you'd feel about that given how neatly you've installed the rest of your equipment.

Bottom line is I doubt you'll love whatever VZ installs.  Just be make it easy for them to do the work, then come in and adjust the install to your standards.  You and the tech will be much happier that way.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I while back, I saw a listing of the ONTs that Verizon installs (or installed). If my memory is correct, there is another Al-Lu model that is virtually the same as the i-211m, but, it supports...I think....8 POTS lines.

My church recently migrated Internet service from Verizon DSL to xfinity. Comcast's stock Business terminal unit supports 8 POTS lines and 8 Ethernet devices (we kept our lines with Verizon).

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

I while back, I saw a listing of the ONTs that Verizon installs (or installed). If my memory is correct, there is another Al-Lu model that is virtually the same as the i-211m, but, it supports...I think....8 POTS lines.

My church recently migrated Internet service from Verizon DSL to xfinity. Comcast's stock Business terminal unit supports 8 POTS lines and 8 Ethernet devices (we kept our lines with Verizon).

This is the current enclosure used for desktop ONTs.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://tiitech.com/wp-content/uploads/datashee...

This enclosure is used both indoors and outdoors and can house either the Nokia or Arris desktop ONTS. What the tech did at your friend's house is a crappy install and is not the norm. 
The  ONT at the church is an 821 model which has 8 pots lines and 2 data lines. It also has video if needed.