Ethernet cable from G3100 loses data stream when unplugged - can this be avoided?
Tillos

Very weird question, but a simple one.  When an ethernet cable is plugged into the router and running to another device like a laptop, desktop, or a game console, the lights blink to show that data is being transferred.  When that cable is disconnected from the computer / console, it stops blinking and data is no longer being sent across that line.  Upon a reconnection, it takes a few seconds for that data to begin to transmit again.

Is it possible to keep that port active while the cable is not plugged in at both ends?  Specifically so that there is no downtime in between the connection and the actual data receipt?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet cable from G1300 loses data stream when unplugged - can this be avoided?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No that cannot be done. Ethernet interfaces need some time to negotiate between each other to establish the link. The LED indicates layer 2 activity. When you unplug the cable, you break the layer 1 connectivity. Higher layers need lower layers to be connected first.

This is the Open System Interconnection model:

Layer 1: Physical connection, are they connected with a cable or through radio waves in the air?

Layer 2: Link, can I switch between them?

Layer 3: Network, can I route between them?

Layer 4: Transport, ports

Layer 5: Session

Layer 6: Presentation

Layer 7: Application, HTTP for web pages for example.

View solution in original post

Re: Ethernet cable from G1300 loses data stream when unplugged - can this be avoided?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No that cannot be done. Ethernet interfaces need some time to negotiate between each other to establish the link. The LED indicates layer 2 activity. When you unplug the cable, you break the layer 1 connectivity. Higher layers need lower layers to be connected first.

This is the Open System Interconnection model:

Layer 1: Physical connection, are they connected with a cable or through radio waves in the air?

Layer 2: Link, can I switch between them?

Layer 3: Network, can I route between them?

Layer 4: Transport, ports

Layer 5: Session

Layer 6: Presentation

Layer 7: Application, HTTP for web pages for example.