Ethernet connections dropping Eero gateway
JuanA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a G1100 and it has had 2 Ethernet connections for the last 2 years. One of those connections was my Eero pro router.

A few weeks ago I added a third Ethernet connection to the gateway - a laptop for work. Last week my Eero network dropped off as disconnected. In the Fios gateway page I tried romping g it and it kept failing. I tried and tried to reconnect the Eero and thought that the LAN adapter must have been busted. Finally I disconnected all devices and restarted the gateway. I added the eero first to port 4 and it worked fine! So I added the laptops on 1 and 2 and the eero went back to disconnected!  I disconnected the laptops and it came back up. What exactly is going on and how do I fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet connections dropping Eero gateway
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you run speed test on your two computers? For speeds lower than 100Mbps, it is commonly indicative of a bad cable or bad Ethernet port. Can you swap the EERO onto a different LAN port on G1100 and try again? Thanks.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you configured your EERO to "bridge mode?" You need to disable EERO's DHCP server. You are likely experiencing an IP conflict.

JuanA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

If I set the eero to bridge mode, that would allow the Fios gateway to assign IP addresses as necessary correct? Is there a potential for problems there? I have a lot of devices connected to the eero network like smart light switches, echos, alarm, etc etc.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you currently have a double NAT setup? Meaning your Verizon router establishes a LAN network and your EERO establishes another network within Verizon router's LAN?

JuanA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, DHCP is set to auto on both.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

DHCP is a protocol for handing out IP addresses and it has nothing to do with Network Address Translation. Could you draw a diagram of your network for us to better assist you? Thanks.

JuanA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

imageOnt and gateway

in this layout I have Ethernet ports 1 and 2 hard wired to 2 laptop workstations. Port 4 is where the Eero gateway plugs in. After resetting all of the connections and replacing them, I put the Eero in Bridge mode.  My bandwidth is seriously diminished however.  2 weeks ago I would run the built in speed test in the Eero and get 950Mbps up/down and now that number has collapsed to 95Mbps. I swapped the Eero for a spare and nothing changes. What the heck is going on?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you run speed test on your two computers? For speeds lower than 100Mbps, it is commonly indicative of a bad cable or bad Ethernet port. Can you swap the EERO onto a different LAN port on G1100 and try again? Thanks.

JuanA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I swapped ports to number one and the speed test remained at 95Mbps, after the speed test the gateway dropped the eero again. Even though I swapped to a new eero base station and set it up as a bridge. I swapped the cable out and did another test and the same speeds came up. If I’m having some sort of IP conflict is there a way that I can hard code an IP address for the eero while keeping all other devices in auto dhcp?

0 Likes
JuanA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

imageNew setup

So I spent a few bucks and changed a few things on my network and yet I’m still getting poor speed tests. Here’s the new setup:

1. NAT to fios gateway via blue cat 6

2. Fios gateway LAN 1 to Eero via Cat 6

- Gateway DHCP IP assignments begin at 192.168.1.2

- WiFi is off

3. Eero to 5 port gigabit switch via cat 6

- Eero DHCP assigns IP addresses starting at 172.168.0.1

- additional settings

4 gigabit switch provides Ethernet connection to 2 laptops and NAS backup

I have tried speed tests with the Eero in all Fios gateway LAN ports and can’t do better than 95 Mbps. The fios speed test I just tried tonight had 5, yes 5 Mbps.  Could Fios be throttling me for some reason because of all the resets I’ve been doing?

0 Likes