Ethernet from ONT no Verizon router
canalrun
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I see that many closely related questions like mine have been asked and answered on these forms, but nothing specific to my question.

I am getting an Internet only FiOS installation soon. I think I would prefer going wired ethernet from the ONT to my existing Wi-Fi router WAN port rather than going coax from the ONT to a Verizon router then via wired connection to the WAN port of my router.

I am Internet only. I am switching from Time Warner Cable RoadRunner. It sure would be nice to just move the ethernet cable from the RoadRunner modem to the FIOS ONT and have everything on my network work as before. I'm pretty sure my router WAN port just requests DHCP from the modem (or ONT).

Is this possible? What should I tell the install tech? Is there an advantage to using a coax connection to the Verizon router then connecting to my router? If I don't use the Verizon router, do I save 10 bucks per month on the rental?

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet from ONT no Verizon router
jonjones1
Legend

@canalrun wrote:

Hello,

I see that many closely related questions like mine have been asked and answered on these forms, but nothing specific to my question.

I am getting an Internet only FiOS installation soon. I think I would prefer going wired ethernet from the ONT to my existing Wi-Fi router WAN port rather than going coax from the ONT to a Verizon router then via wired connection to the WAN port of my router.

I am Internet only. I am switching from Time Warner Cable RoadRunner. It sure would be nice to just move the ethernet cable from the RoadRunner modem to the FIOS ONT and have everything on my network work as before. I'm pretty sure my router WAN port just requests DHCP from the modem (or ONT).

Is this possible? What should I tell the install tech? Is there an advantage to using a coax connection to the Verizon router then connecting to my router? If I don't use the Verizon router, do I save 10 bucks per month on the rental?

Thanks,

Barry.

Barry:

the ethernet connection is just a simple hook into your own supplied router. Not modem. You will need to do a complete reset of your existing router and then when the installer runs the Ethernet to your router it should just grab the DHCP and function properly.

however I found that you could just run the cabling without the owner resetting the owner supplied router and it may function. However it's best to start fresh and then tweak the settings as you desire. 

Good luck 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As previously stated, pretty easy.

Just need to ask that internet be provisioned via Ethernet not coax.

0 Likes
Aendil

I would like to use the thread for exactly the same concern and have to disagree that this topic can be considered closed.

The online order of internet only package explicitly states that a modem is needed, either the quantum or mi424wr.

I called with the same question the sales people today who refused to provide information as to the nature of the internet handoff unless I authorize them to run a credit check on me. After being yelled at by some ill mannered lady sales person, I diligently provided the needed details for a credit check only to be told that the internet handoff pattern requres a modem. 

It is beyond me why Verizon will handoff coax for internet only subscribers who have own routers, like me and the gentleman who started this thread.

I realy want to subscribe, but don't want the hassle of what would be the handoff - ethernet cable or coax.

And no one from sales seems to even know the difference.

How do we do this?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can't speak for what the order system allows, but you can defintely use your own router (no modems) and have it via ethernet.

It is not a Verizon supported option in that they will not provide any techincial support for issues involving your router.

canalrun
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am the OP.

I think Verizon needs to address this issue – Internet only customers. FiOS does not have a TV franchise agreement in my city; TV is not an option.

I was also told by the salesperson that I would require the $10 per month Verizon router/modem for my Internet only configuration.

This makes no sense. I should be able to plug my existing Wi-Fi router into the ONT ethernet Jack and be off and running. I have seen posts, and previous posters, have said this is possible. But, it does not seem to be an option that Verizon offers willingly.

I am also concerned about the ONT power consumption. The size of the power plug shown in the Verizon support videos is a little scary. How much power does this thing consume?

I will wait a few years and maybe, once again, consider FiOS.

Thanks for the replies.

Barry.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@canalrun wrote:

I am the OP.

I think Verizon needs to address this issue – Internet only customers. FiOS does not have a TV franchise agreement in my city; TV is not an option.

I was also told by the salesperson that I would require the $10 per month Verizon router/modem for my Internet only configuration.

This makes no sense. I should be able to plug my existing Wi-Fi router into the ONT ethernet Jack and be off and running. I have seen posts, and previous posters, have said this is possible. But, it does not seem to be an option that Verizon offers willingly.

I am also concerned about the ONT power consumption. The size of the power plug shown in the Verizon support videos is a little scary. How much power does this thing consume?

I will wait a few years and maybe, once again, consider FiOS.

Thanks for the replies.

Barry.

Did you read what I told you? Evidently not.

you can use your own router. But you must first reset it back to the day you bought it.

this way it clears out any junk settings the router holds.

you plug the Ethernet into the router, you obtain the DNS and then you make your routers settings as you like. However like cable broadband if you have your own customer supplied router technical support may not assist you.

0 Likes
Aendil

Being not the OP, if I may interject here.

I thank you for your prompt responce, but did you read what I originally posted too?

Nobody is asking if we can use own routers. We are clear that we can use own routers, provided that ONT internet handoff is ethernet cable that has an RJ46 connector at the end so we can plug in the "internet" hole in our routers and have fun with.

I asked sales if ONT handoff is ethernet cable and was told that the initial set up will be coax and that I will need a modem to connect.

The real question is if we subsbribe for internet service only and requre ethernet cable handoff why Verizon is not frank with its potential customers and explicitly states that internet handoff can be per the parameters of the ONT, being alternative coax or ethernet? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Aendil wrote:

Being not the OP, if I may interject here.

(Snip snip snip)

The real question is if we subsbribe for internet service only and requre ethernet cable handoff why Verizon is not frank with its potential customers and explicitly states that internet handoff can be per the parameters of the ONT, being alternative coax or ethernet? 

This is getting a little confusing. To the original poster and additional posters, you tell Verizon Fios that you want an Ethernet setup only. You are only getting internet and not tv or phone. Now after you get that setup, you then can use your own router.

however like I said before, after this is setup as Ethernet install wipe the router (reset to factory settings via the reset button on the router for 10-15 seconds) you are using before you hook it in to your customer owned router. This will be a better install since all the older settings will be gone and after you obtain the DNS from Verizon you can tweak your router.

you should be ok from there on.

sweetboy

I got installed the GIgabit plan today INTERNET only. I didn't use the G1100 Verizon but using my own router (high end) to the ONT. However the spped is crap. 1/10 of Gigabit (~100Mbps). Not sure what happens or do I need the G1100 to speed it up???

The installation tech said if i only have Internet ONLY, I don't need G1100. But i have slow speed now. Confusing 

0 Likes