Ethernet Internet Speed Currently Slower Than Wireless
mesteenson

I have an ethernet running through the wall to a computer on the second floor, which provides a 3mb/s download speed, and a 10mb/s upload speed.

This is odd, so I checked the speed of the wireless, which responded with a 50mb/s download and a 38mb/s upload.  My question: why is the ethernet internet so horendous?  Both were tested from the same Richmond, VA server using speedtest.net.

The cable running through the wall is definitely a little dated, and before I go out and buy a new one to replace it - is it even possible that a bottlenecked cable could yield results that terrible?  Or are there other antagonists that I have not even thought of.

Responses appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet Internet Speed Currently Slower Than Wireless
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible the cable could be bad. If you have a cable tester, take the cable for a test to see if it's lossy or has any open pairs. It's possible your NIC/the router's switch happens to be operating in 10Mbps Full or Half Duplex mode, too. Could be a bad switch, a bad NIC, or some weird configuration issue with the PC for that specific network adapter.

Try another PC to see if you can isolate what the problem might be. That helps to rule out the cable and the switchport on the router.

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet Internet Speed Currently Slower Than Wireless
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Did you check your Network Interface Card settings? I would set it for 100 Full Duplex and try the test again. Make sure that you have the wireless disabled during the test.

0 Likes