Ethernet on Extender Drops
AphexTwin

I am not going to call tech support. Let me tell you when this happens. I use a VPN for work. I use ethernet on an extender connected to COAX. After several hours my Ethernet connection drops and I have to use my wifi connection. This is unacceptable. I do not believe it is a customer service issue. I think you think I am using VPN for getting around region locking. I don't. You either knock this off or I will go back to optimum the second my contract with is up (january). I am not going to call your tech support and be a "Karen" or a "Kevin" I am just going to tell you now I will not accept this level of service from you. Fix it for everyone. Not just for me. Lots of us use VPN to connect to work. When I am not working and not using a VPN this doesn't happen. Only when my VPN is on for extended periods. Fix it. For everyone. 

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet on Extender Drops
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Hello AphexTwin,

While a Verizon employee may occasionally post here, this community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello there, VZ does not block VPNs. As a customer myself, I can use IPsec and SSL VPNs for the entire work day without problems.

Also, what you are describing does not make sense. Ethernet or WiFi connections concern the 2nd layer of the Open System Interconnection (OSI) model. VPN protocols, for instance SSL VPN likely in your case, operate on the 3rd layer, if not, 7th layer of OSI model. Having problems on the link layer should not be attributed to things in the application layer.

Can you be more specific of "Ethernet connection drops?" Does the link LED on the Extender extinguishes? Also, what is the model of your Extender? WCB6200Q or E3200? If you could, please also produce the firmware version of your router and extender.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I, too, am another fios user who routinely uses a VPN for work.  It stays up for as long as I need, which sometimes is many days.

There are several friendly users here who would be happy to help you dig into this.  If you'd like to try and figure out the issue, please provide more details as Cang_Household requested.