Ethernet port provisioning of ONT for Google Wifi on 75/75
onmywaytoeat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just picked up a Google WiFi router and have spent hours trying to figure it out how to make it work with FIOS. I finally landed on the pinned thread: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 and followed all the steps, but it doesn't mention having to call Verizon to get the ethernet port provisioned. Is that a required step? I get no connection via Ethernet, and when I called Verizon support, I was told I have to upgrade my 75/75 plan to a minimum of 150gb connectoin ($20/month extra) and pay a $100 installaiton fee for the upgrade. Is all this true?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet port provisioning of ONT for Google Wifi on 75/75
onmywaytoeat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to get this done by contacting Verizon Direct on dslreports. The first agent's response was that it would not be possible at all because I had the TV service ... But the second agent who picked up the thread completed the switchover and everything is working great. It is frustrating that Verizon doesn't arm all its agents with the right information - this should have been a lot easier. But all is well that ends well.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

It should not be an issue to have internet over ethernet, however I take it you are not set up for it presently. The reason they may be using is your home ONT may have to be upgraded, they may run the ethernet to your router for you so you don’t need to mess with the router and ont. Just a guess here.

now normally you need only call in and tell them to switch you to ethernet only. The reps normally just do so in seconds. But you are responsible for the initial hook up.

they also don’t install non Verizon branded equipment.

good place to start is https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@onmywaytoeat wrote:

I just picked up a Google WiFi router and have spent hours trying to figure it out how to make it work with FIOS. I finally landed on the pinned thread: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 and followed all the steps, but it doesn't mention having to call Verizon to get the ethernet port provisioned. Is that a required step? I get no connection via Ethernet, and when I called Verizon support, I was told I have to upgrade my 75/75 plan to a minimum of 150gb connectoin ($20/month extra) and pay a $100 installaiton fee for the upgrade. Is all this true?

You don’t need to upgrade to 150 mbps to change to ethernet so if you don’t want to upgrade then do not agree. It sounds like you just got the wrong person. Try to call again and just tell them you don’t want any upgrades you want your data provisioned on ethernet instead of MoCA. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either call and ask for technical support off hit them up on twitter @verizonsupport

onmywaytoeat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to get this done by contacting Verizon Direct on dslreports. The first agent's response was that it would not be possible at all because I had the TV service ... But the second agent who picked up the thread completed the switchover and everything is working great. It is frustrating that Verizon doesn't arm all its agents with the right information - this should have been a lot easier. But all is well that ends well.

jonjones1
Legend

That is what I recommend over the other ways. The reps over at DSL Reports are real Verizon help via their social media team. They do a better job there than any where else.

glad it was taken care of.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you also for the heads up about the article lacking the information about calling Verizon. I'll get this added ASAP.

Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have always found the Verizon Fios Support Team via the twitter handle is where I get the fastest response @VerizonSupport.  Try them first. 

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

That is what I recommend over the other ways. The reps over at DSL Reports are real Verizon help via their social media team. They do a better job there than any where else.

glad it was taken care of.

The twitter team is the same that supports the dsl reports vzdirect forums

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Yep that is why i told the original forum poster ‘they are part of the social media team”

that includes “twitter” which in my opinion is not as good as DSLREPORTS which has been around longer than twitter. 

0 Likes