Ethernet properties question.
redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

When looking at ethernet properties, it says its running through my Network (Home/Office).  There are two other choices, Broadband Connection and DMZ.  What is the differences and what would changing to one of these do?  I'm trying to find out if switching to say DMZ could improve my connection to my xbox.

I connect my xbox to the actiontec mi424wr with an ethernet cord and I do use DMZ for it.

Re: Ethernet properties question.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

That pull-down allows you to connect the 4 port switch to one of several sources.

• Network H/O is the normal LAN bridge that connects the switch, MOCA LAN and wireless together,  The Network H/O bridge is in turn is connected to your broadband connection (coax or ethernet as appropriate).
  • The Broadband selection allows you to bridge the 4 port switch directly to the WAN port.  Only useful is you have multiple static IP addresses.
  • The DMZ selection allows any packets delivered to the DMZ to be delivered to the 4 ports on the switch.  Not sure why any one would do this, since this happens anyway.  FWIW, it would prevent the packets from being delivered to the MOCA LAN or wireless.
redrex003
Enthusiast - Level 2

So theres theres no advantage to switch it to DMZ then?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

No reason to change it. 

It's really an artifact of how the software is designed.  Any interface can be bridged to any other interface.  Makes for a great deal of flexibility, but in this case, doesn't make any sense.