Ethernet slow/not working but wireless is fine
Bluewing
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not sure who can help with this. I have spent nearly 5 hours on the phone with Verizon support on two separate days and the issue is not resolved. Let me explain the problem.

I have 3 PC's and a printer connected to a Fios router via the ethernet. One of the PC's also has wireless capability. My problem is that at random times when I am trying to connect to any website, the browser will get hung up (sit and spin) and not load the page. This happens on every connected device (unable to determine if it is simultaneous), sometimes the page loads, and sometimes it does not. However, if I unplug the ethernet cable on my laptop and connect wirelessly, I NEVER have a problem with any website or email loading. When we do a speed test (via ethernet), the times vary, sometimes they are good, and sometimes 25% of what they should be. The router usually tests fine but it is the speed to the device that is the issue. I have changed ethernet cables and my longest one is only 8ft long. I am very baffled as 6 weeks ago, I did not have this problem and everything worked fine.

I contacted Verizon twice and was on the phone with them for literally hours. Finally, I convinced the last tech it is a router issue because all wired PC's have the issue but not wireless. Well, I just got the new router and low and behold, I still have the problem. It was not the router after all. I am at a true loss as to what the issue may be. 

Can anyone offer some advice/troubleshooting tips? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet slow/not working but wireless is fine
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dexman, this sounds like an IPv6 + Intel NIC incompatibility problem. The solution is to disable IPv6 TCP Checksum Offload in the NIC settings.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For testing purposes, could the following be tried (if they haven't already been).

. Plug only one device into the router (say a computer) and test for a period of time that is long enough to normally be subject to glitching.

. If the problem does not reoccur, add another device and test with both units connected to the router.

. If no problems, add another device and repeat.

See if one of the devices is causing problems.

Despite not having any issues when connected via Wi-Fi to the same router, could the Ethernet cable between the ONT and router be replaced (if it already hasn't been)?  ðŸ¤”

Bluewing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. 

I removed all computers on the ethernet but one and still had the same issue. I also replaced that cable with a new one and it still is intermittent (takes about 15 = 30 minutes to determine if there is a problem). I then changed computers and got the same results.

I also did change the cable between the ONT and router with the new one from the box that came with the router. Still no help.

It almost seems like it is a setting somewhere because my wifi speed is great with no issues.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could a neighbor, friend or relative bring a laptop over to test?

If you have access to a third party router, could it be temporarily switched with the Fios router for a test?

Short of all that, having Verizon DPO a technician for on-site troubleshooting might be in order.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the make & model of the desktop? Did it receive any updates overnight? There is another report of slow Ethernet connection speeds that has similar symptoms and now I'm starting to wonder if the computers themselves have something to do with the problem. ðŸ¤”

Another question just popped into my mind....Are you now on IP6 or are you still on IP4?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dexman, this sounds like an IPv6 + Intel NIC incompatibility problem. The solution is to disable IPv6 TCP Checksum Offload in the NIC settings.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

After going around "Robinhood's Barn" a few times, the IP6 conundrum popped into my mind.

I posted a picture of the advanced system status page in my G3100 for the OP to do a stare & compare to see if IP6 is active in the router. 🙂

SilentSpartan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had this issue for the past 4 days. Thank you so much! This was the solution for me! @cang_household

0 Likes
Bluewing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much. Initial tests show my issue is resolved. 

0 Likes
joeyg123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello!

I realize that this thread is over a year old but the issue persists. I apologize in advance for any dumb questions. I'm a novice when it comes to networking.  

I recently set up a 3100A and noticed that anything connected via ethernet was significantly slower than wireless speeds.  Thankfully, I came across this thread.  

I couldn't find anywhere to disable the IPv6 TCP Checksum Offload in the NIC settings in the  mynetworksettings.com portal.  Is this something that can be disabled at the router or only on a desktop?  It seems like my only solution is to disable IPv6 entirely but I've read conflicting articles on whether or not that should should be done. 

As a side note, I'm also trying to set up an eero 6+ mesh network which is how I came to notice the issue.  

Thank you in advance. 

Joe!

0 Likes