Exceptionally slow download speeds, no answers from company
Mel871
We upgraded to 75/75 last week. After installing the new router, my husband, who is a network engineer working from home noticed that the download speeds were exceptionally slow, averaging about 1.5 Mbps. Upload speeds were fine. We called customer service last Saturday and were told it was an outage that would be fixed "soon". That was six days ago. Still no fix. He can't work here because the speeds are too slow. While all the customer service reps have been very nice, no one can get us an answer about when, if ever, it will be fixed. Considering calling Comcast. Thoughts? Anyone else having the same issues?
0 Likes
Re: Exceptionally slow download speeds, no answers from company
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

There were some service issues in the northeast today but they were resolved around noonish.   Are you still having the problem?

This may all be very basic, especially to your network engineer husband, but....

If you're still having the problem,  are you getting the slow download speeds via wifi or with a hardwired (Ethernet) connection to your router?

What results do you get using the Verizon speedtest:  http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

And what results at www.speedtest.net?

That additional info may help a fellow user here on the forum suggest where the problem lies and what you might do about it.

0 Likes
upic

The same here (started July1).

If somebody have a twitter account - can we start a viral campaign?

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd say it's probably the same issue that has been going on almost a year now.  Verizon refuses to fix/upgrade their peering agreements with providers like AWS (At least in the North East) which makes dropbox and a host of other sites very slow.

I wish Verizon seemed to care but not only do they not fix the problems they don't even communicate to their customers.

As soon as comcast provides me with > 500/500 that I have with FIOS now, I'm gone. Verizon is becoming worse than Comcast which is no small feat.

0 Likes
upic

500/500?.. We barely have 2/10 download/upload right now. I wish we would have 10% of your speed. 

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

That was my point though, I pay for 500/500 but there are a slew of major sites I do not get anywhere near this due to poor peering.

0 Likes
upic

After two days on the phone, 2 technicians, 3 replaced routers and one replaced main box, Verizon finally admitted that the problem is on their end.  We got a promise that this will be escalated to Level 2 tomorrow… Stay tuned – the saga continues…

0 Likes
coolbreeze7
Enthusiast - Level 1

DId you get your answer? I can't ever remember Verizon admitting to anything "being their problem"! 

We are having the same issue (mid Atlantic state)~ If it truly is their problem what is their plan of action?

0 Likes
upic

It was fixed very next day after it was elevated to "Level 2" - with no actions whatsoever from our end. No explanation provided. Obviously, it was "their problem", but "they" - "mysterious Level 2" - prefer not to discuss it.

Bottom line - 3 days of fruitless efforts from our end for no reason. As I said, a viral twitter campaign regarding this issue could be one solution. Another one is spending several days on a phone with Verizon. Your choice.

0 Likes